Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

CAI void warranty? What if Mazda installs?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Default CAI void warranty? What if Mazda installs?

I live in Oregon so it's wet here most of the year. Puddles can surprise you and fast speeds on the freeways during rainfall can spray water everywhere. I'm somewhat nervous about converting to a CAI for this reason... I used to run a CAI in my Honda and then shortly after a rainstorm hit I converted back to a SRI for a little peace of mind.

Online reports seem to be contradicting so I'll ask the question here... if I get a CAI or SRI for my M3, and I install it, will it void the warranty? What if a Mazda dealer installs it? Will they even install an aftermarket air intake system?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CAI void warranty? What if Mazda installs?

Questions, questions, questions.... are you buying all this stuff tonight?

In a word, yes, a CAI can void your warranty, but it doesn't have to. It largely depends on the warranty problem and how your dealer and regional rep feel about the mods you have done. But make no mistake about it, it might very well void warranties. And no, having a Mazda or Mazdaspeed certified dealer install it makes no difference in the world.

If you're worried about hydrolock as many are, stick w/the stock box... maybe put in a K&N and some holes in the right places and you'll gain as much as an SRI, but not as much as a CAI. Face it, you're talking about minimal increases in performance anyway.
Now add an exhaust and the toll goes up... by a lot. 'Can't increase air in unless you first increase the availability of air (exhaust) out too. No-wat-I-meen?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:20 AM

Well said virgin

Old 01-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Just to add that even if you install the MAZDASPEED CAI (which I happen to sell), it doesn't cover hydrolock.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

That said, I have the Mazdaspeed CAI and LOVE IT!!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Yeah I'm aware of the custom exhaust needed for proper "exhale" to compliment the "inhale", so to speak. On my civic, well it's a long story but my exhaust and hi-flow cat never got installed (guy who ordered it for me got the wrong stuff, or the seller misadvertised it), so I only had a CAI/SRI...even though my HP probably only went up a couple of points I absolutely loved the new purr my car made, not to mention getting that big ugly stock box out from the engine bay The difference, though not significant, was so noticeable I vowed to make it one of my first mods, despite the car, limitations, etc. And it was some cheap no-name ebay purchase!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM

Yes Virgin I have lots of questions! They all popped out of my head the second I drove out of the dealership!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 01-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Has anyone here had a shop install a CAI/SRI? If so, what did they charge? I know it's easy to do yourself, but maybe the warranty ***** would be more sympathetic if I had a receipt from a reputable shop...

Old 01-21-2008, 11:03 AM

We do it for $90 at the dealer. Any CAI itself will not affect warranty. Problems related to installation or caused by an aftermarket CAI will not be covered. But if you have a power steering pump go out, it can't be voided under warranty because you have the CAI. If you're MAF sensor starts acting up and throwing codes, that may be a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI void warranty? What if Mazda installs?