Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:01 AM
Default RE: Tyre wear breakthrough!

my 07 came with Toyo Proxes and I noticed much rubber dust on rocker panel as I installed the splash guards today. Is the the tire everyone is having issues with?

Old 04-14-2007, 07:30 AM

No the cars with the worst problems started off life with Dunlop sports and are 17"

I too have sent off a form......
We will have to wait and see now.......

Last edited by virgin1; 11-25-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Default RE: UK Tyre Wear - Get BBC Watchdog On The Case

Is it a tire problem or an alignment problem? Does anyone know? I'm sure they tilted the Camber in a little to make the cars handle better but perhaps they went too far?

Old 04-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Default RE: UK Tyre Wear - Get BBC Watchdog On The Case

Without a doubt the problem lies in the alignment. I am no expert, but it appears obvious to me...
Why don't Mazda see it???

Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Default RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

I have too experienced most that everyone else has, and all have been resolved except the tyre wear issue. I have been in constant communication with Mazda & the dealership when I manage to get a response, and have not been able to get them to agree to fully compensate. I will not go through all the discussions, but basically I received an offer from the dealership of £226(Allegedly £197 from dealer & the rest from the dealer), the full cost was £471 therefore I rejected this. After I spoke with the lovely Sandra at Mazda they have now sent me a written offer of £195, amazingly less than my original offer?? I have requested that Sandra has the courtesy to give me a call to explain the process they used to offer me less, and I await her reply.
I have now completed the Watchdog form, and await a response.

Thanks
Paul.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:11 PM

I have news and an offer from Mazda, please email me if you are interested.
The most pertinent issue which I now have in writing is that Mazda do not recognise the wear issue to front tyres.
More....

Old 04-20-2007, 04:10 PM

Do tell of your offer from Mazda. I am sure that most of us are interested in what they have to say......
As for front tyres, they are more of a problem, it only takes a small knock to put the alignment out, however, when I took my car in, they checked the balance and the tracking, and they were both spot on... They as the saying goes, had not a leg to stand upon.....

Old 04-20-2007, 06:38 PM

I too have had an offer, of sorts. Eventually, John Smith contacted my dealer and asked for current tyre wear readings to calculate Mazda's contribution to new tyres. I am a little peeved, as although I have done 6000 miles, the fact that there is a fault, somewhere on the vehicle should warrant a free replacement (merchantable quality and fit for purpose etc). I don't know if you'll agree but my analagy would be that if I had bought a fridge freezer and after a couple of months the freezer stopped working, would I be asked to pay a portion towards the repair costs simply becauseI had once used it? Am I being unfair? Please be candid. When I have the time to get to the dealer and an offer is made, I'll let you know.

Regards,

Dave

Old 04-21-2007, 05:49 AM

When I first raised the problem with my dealer they too were unwilling to accept responsibility, but after a lot of discussion between me and them and them and MMUK we did come to an agreement for payment. I initially paid a proportion of the cost, with the dealer paying the balance, as a good will gesture. The dealer then negociated with MMUK via the lovely Nicole.
The dealer then refunded most of the portion of the bill I paid. Unforutunately unless I dig back into my bank statments I cannot remember exactly what I ended up paying, but it was very little in the end.

My point throughout my campaign on this site is more about Mazda admitting there is a fault and doing something about it. Less about who pays for what, although no one should have to pay when it is not their fault.
The fault is a serious one. It could potentially cause an accident or land an unsuspecting motorist on the wrong side of the Law.
Therefore, Mazda are failing in their duty to provide a vehicle that is fit for purpose.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: CharlottenEddiesdad

My point throughout my campaign on this site is more about Mazda admitting there is a fault and doing something about it. Less about who pays for what, ...........
The fault is a serious one. It could potentially cause an accident or land an unsuspecting motorist on the wrong side of the Law.
Therefore, Mazda are failing in their duty to provide a vehicle that is fit for purpose.
I take this approach too. I consider tyres to be a consumable item, I buy a car aware of the fact that tyres will need replacing, and would expect a pair of front tyres to last maybe 18 - 20,000 miles, with careful driving. I'll be changing mine at 12,000 ish because of this irregular wear, and so I'm satisfied on this occassion with a 41% contribution from Mazda UK.

However, this is not the end of the story, is it? My brand new tyres will simply start to wear on the inside edge, unless Mazda will accept that there's a problem, address it and fix it.

I'm not at all convinced by their theory that I have been running the tyres under-inflated. If tyres are underinflated the wear would be on both outside edges, and I've kept them at 34psi anyway,mid-way between the figuresindicated by the plate on the driver's door. If this is considered too low a pressure, then the information given with the car is incorrect. The real point of this is, as you say, any Mazda 5 Sport driver who is not aware of this problem could easily fall foul of the law, or end up in a serious accident, and Mazda are not doing anything to prevent this, and are letting their customers down.

Dave.

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5