Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Default RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

ORIGINAL: toggie

PS
Did anyone find out what the lump of steel bolted onto the back axle is for?
Sorry I should have posted this sooner, although its all a bit vague, Tony Bones is one of the country's unsung heros and expert on suspension geometry and alignment, I contacted him through my Mx-5 O.C. Forum last year about our problem and the lumps of steel bolted onto the suspension, this is his reply...

wheels-inmotion

To:
wsdxh09

Posted:
29 Nov 2006 20:40

Subject:
Re: Mazda 5 Geometry Problems

wsdxh09 wrote:

Hi Tony,

You may remember I recently posted about the Mazda 5, regarding how many of the owners were experiencing very early tyre wear, although I don't have any problems (yet) only done about 800 miles, I was wondering if you would mind taking a look at the photo in the link I have added below, and possibly tell me what you think, its a picture of the rear suspension underneath my car, I'm intrigued by the bolt-on object in the middle of the arm, I couldn't see any brake pipes or cables coming from it, perhaps it is only a load proportioning valve and I'm reading too much into this by thinking its extra weights added.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/wsdxh09/Big%20Five/OffSideUnderCar.jpg

Best regards,

Douglas Hunter.
Sept 2006 Mazda 5 2.0 Sport.

Hello this looks to be part of the dynamic indexing?... Although i do not corner weight (yet) the additional central weight could be to complete a near 1.00 DI value.

Yes I know its still a bit vague but my understanding (and I could be wrong) is that most manufacturers take weight off the car in the developement stage to gain the perfect DI value.!!!

Gadget Vicar and Toggie, I too got my car from Linwood and would rate them very highly, as Area Co-ordinator for Central Scotland Mx-5 Owners Club we have had tremendous support and involvment from them, however they have recently had staff problems which is still no excuse not to call customers back which seems to be happening a great deal not only to yourselves but to a lot of our members too. The General Manager is looking into the communications problem as we speak, after a complaint by myself.
Alan Ravenscroft the Service Manager drives a Mazda 5 and rates the car very highly but I can't understand why he won't admit there is a problem and keeps on saying only one or two cars have experienced tyre wear issues. I pointed out to him the new cars on the forecourt, one with Goodyear Eagle and the other with Toyo Tranpath Tyres fitted in place of the Dunlop Sports, he just dismissed it by saying itswhat Mazdadecide to fitat thattime.
Perhapshaving GadgetVicar and the power of his Big Boss on our side, we may see some action, or would thatonly be a miracle, sorry corny I know but couldn't resist it.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:17 AM

Hello everyone, here's my latest up-date.

I've received an e-mail from Jon Smith (or John Smith depending on the top or bottom of his e-mail) informing me that Mazda will contribute 41% of the cost of four replacement tyres - although I can't see any problem with my rear tyres YET - although there is still no admission that the tyre wear is caused by a fault, now the blame is put on incorrect tyre pressures. I quote:

"I have reviewed the information supplied by Lythgoe Mazda with a member of our Technical Team and all indications point towards the cause of the tyre wear occurring as a result ofthem being run underinflated; however, taking into consideration the inconvenience you have experienced, I have decided that a goodwill contribution should be made.[/align][/align]The level of our contribution has been reached by taking into account the average tread depth across the tyre in comparison to the depth available on a brand new tyre. This brings the contribution from Mazda to 41% towards the replacement of all 4 tyres, even though the highlighted concern is with rear tyres only on the Mazda5 Sport model."[/align][/align]Once again the reference to concern with rear tyres on the Mazda 5 Sport. I'm baffled now.[/align][/align]I've kept my tyres inflated to the spec according to the plate on the driver's side door, so if this is considered as underinflated, then surely the spec is wrong. And wouldn't under-inflated tyres wear on both inside and outside edges? [/align][/align]Anyway, just booked the car in for first service @ 12,500 miles and have been advised by the dealerthat the tyre of preference is Bridgestone, so that's what's going on. Not sure if I'm changing just fronts or doing the rears too, can't see the point really, they've got loads of miles left on them.[/align][/align]More as it happens.........[/align][/align]Dave.[/align][/align]

Old 04-12-2007, 10:02 AM

Do you have Jo(h)n Smith's e-mail address? He has yet to return any of my calls.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Default UK Tyre Wear - Get BBC Watchdog On The Case

Hi All. I have approached a colleague who works regularly on the BBC Watchdog TV programme, who has spoken to the programmeEditor. The Editor's advice is that for a topic to be picked up by a researcher, enough complaints of a similar nature need to be received either by e-mail, phone or via the programme's website. I think if we can all contact them by some method, it is possible that we may get them to take up our cause. Having recently seen two Mazda 5 Sports in car-parks with front tyres which were, frankly, lethal, it is my opinion that as well as those of us who are aware of the problem and are fighting to get Mazda to take notice, there could be many more drivers blissfully unaware of the danger they are in or the points they are likely to get on their licence.

If we can convince BBC Watchdog to promote this issue, it has to be to all our advantages.

The on-line form to complete is here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and...ransport.shtml

The phone number is: 020 8535 1000 (but as a BBC employee, in my experience that will be voice-mail!)

And regular e-mail address is watchdog@bbc.co.uk.

Let's all take 5 minutes to bombard them with complaints.

Dave.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:17 PM

Hi All. I have approached a colleague who works regularly on the BBC Watchdog TV programme, who has spoken to the programmeEditor. The Editor's advice is that for a topic to be picked up by a researcher, enough complaints of a similar nature need to be received either by e-mail, phone or via the programme's website. I think if we can all contact them by some method, it is possible that we may get them to take up our cause. Having recently seen two Mazda 5 Sports in car-parks with front tyres which were, frankly, lethal, it is my opinion that as well as those of us who are aware of the problem and are fighting to get Mazda to take notice, there could be many more drivers blissfully unaware of the danger they are in or the points they are likely to get on their licence.

If we can convince BBC Watchdog to promote this issue, it has to be to all our advantages.

The on-line form to complete is here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/contact_transport.shtml

The phone number is: 020 8535 1000 (but as a BBC employee, in my experience that will be voice-mail!)

And regular e-mail address is watchdog@bbc.co.uk.

Let's all take 5 minutes to bombard them with complaints.

Dave.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Default RE: UK Tyre Wear - Get BBC Watchdog On The Case

Done it.

Dave

Old 04-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks for contact details. Have emailed Watchdog tonight.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 PM

Just Done it I have also sent an e-mail previously to watchdog

Stephen

Old 04-12-2007, 08:38 PM

I did it on Monday, as soon as I discovered the problem..........does anyone know how many 5 Sport models have been sold in the UK? Do we know it's a problem on every one?

Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 PM

Update from myself.

I have heard nothing from Mazda in responce to the formal letter written at the end of March.
'Which?' Legal department have contacted me today to discuss the next course of action - any input from people out there would be gratefully received.
I have also had a number of direct email contacts regarding these issues which I guess will build into a case.
By the way, and sorry to be the bearer of bad news, as an automotive engineer I can tell you that changing the tyres on the vehicle will have absolutely no effect on the geometry issue and the resulting wear. There may be a slight benefit in terms of the different rubber compound hardness, but the underlying issues remain. Changing tyres is akin to re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. As a word of advise, until the issue is resolved (or unless Mazda pay 100%) go for 'cheaper tyres'. Like another poster, I replaced the original Dunlops with Avon ZZ3's.

It is also worth noting, that if you accept at this stage, partial payment from Mazda, it could weaken your case for further compensation. unless you are deperate for the amounts offered at this stage I would advise you all to decline the offer. Mazda will not recind this offer going forward so you won't lose out.

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5