Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:07 AM
Default RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

You are absolutely right on the divide and conquer theory.
I have written to Jon Smith, and after one reply (which was very generic), he has become conspicuous by his silence.
I suggest that we all write to him jsmit721@mazdaeurope.comand tell him of our total dissatisfaction with the way MMUK are dealing with us. They might want to bury their heads and ignore the facts. They might think that by dividing they will make us go away.
They need a big wake up call to say that we are all saying the same thing, and we all want the same response.
That is, MMUK to acknowledge the fact they produced a faulty car. Find a fix and fix the faulty cars. Install new tyres on all affected vehicles.
End of story.

We could also write directly to Mr Rob Lindley, Managing Director of MMUK
Riverbridge House, Anchor Boulevard, Dartford, Kent. DA2 6QH

If he started to get reams of post, he might action the likes of Jon Smith to do something!
Worth a try..... for the price of a stamp...

Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 AM

Just to let you all know I took my 5 Sport into Brooklyn Cheltenham to have the repairs carried out, and low and behold I was presented with a cheque from Brooklyn Head Office for £327.00 as promised for the four tyres.
This has taken about 3 weeks from start to finish.
As far as I am concerned the matter is over - the car will be gone within the next month, so any future problems will be a distant memory.
Good luck to everyone.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:45 AM

As per your suggestion, I've written today to the Rob Lindley the MD at MMUK. 'm glad toread that some people are getting suitable compensation but I suspect that just as many are still being told (and accepting this as fact) that their tyres are worn out due to incorrect pressures...

I also have to say that I have little or no confidence that the alignment check and the new Dunlops will be the end of this saga for me. I've got another 11 months before I hand the keys back and will be using my wife's car wherever possible to reduce the chance of needing to spend out another four or five hundred quid during this time.

I'll let you know if/when I get a reply from MMUK meanwhile, I'd like to thank the forum and all of its contributors for their help and stress how important it is that people continue to share their experiences and info using this format.

David

Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 AM

The plot thickens - had a call to collect the Sport after the door and alloy repairs and I was told that all four alloy wheels would be replaced!!!!! Evidently there is a known corrosion problem on the centre hub just behind the plastic Mazda insert.
As this has just come about, has anyone else been presented with this replacement news??
The only trouble is the dealer has taken photos andsent them to Mazda for the warranty replacement, which can take up to four weeks. Then they have to reorder them and have the car for another day - so my plans to get rid of the car are now scuppered.
On the positive side I was loaned a Toyota Prius Spirit for the two days - what a car this is. I covered well over 120 miles and had to fill up £10 worth of fuel. If this is the future of motoring with all the congestion and road/CO2 charging, then I am going to look at this car in the near future.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 AM

Corroding alloys is a very common problem with Mazda in the UK.

It is certainly a problem with the 6 and the RX-8 (some owners going through 4 sets). I've also seen the problem on the 3.

This is the first I've heard of the issue in regard to the 5 and find this disappointing. Mazda really should sort this out - hang on, I've heard that somewhere before

As your dealer says it is covered under warranty, so it's just a pain to keep trawling back to the dealer.

All the Best
Rob

Old 06-11-2007, 07:21 AM

Dear Jon (Smith), do you read these forums? I've left messages five times over the last two weeks for you to call me via your polite, but quite frankly useless, customer service dept concerning premature tyre wear and the paint finish issues I have with my Dec 06 Furano. I just get the standard, 'I'll pass the message on'. Then when I make my routine call back to MMUK they always say 'Jon said, have you spoken to the dealer' or 'the dealer will call you.' Quite frankly John this isn't good enough. With 4 bald tyres at 6.5k miles (the dealer preventing my wife and two young kids from leaving the premises without forking out to have them changed - which is a disgrace, if it had been me in the showroom I'd still be camped out on the sofa until I got it sorted FOC) and then finally today, after two weeks being offered 75-80% back its v poor. Why not full whack? Some dealers did this - at 6.5k miles considering the number of times I've had to treck to the dealer for 'in-depth' photographic evidence (I feel that I'm the one under scrutiny, not the damn Mazda) it's more than disappointing. Added to this, the dealer says I need to contact MMUK about paint issues, but MMUK pass me back to the dealer.

All I want to do is discuss my issues with you and how to sort it. I started off being polite, but that doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere. Like most people, I also have a job that ocassionally means dealing with the 'dreaded' general public re compaints. I always make sure that I call the customer directly if they ask to speak to me - so why should I put up with being fobbed off and 'handed down' - are you too important to speak to directly?

For anyone else reading... this is clearly more of a way for me to vent my anger, of course the chances of actually being contacted are slim - but it can't be any worse than going through MMUK!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:24 AM

I have had a short if curt reply to my questions from Jon Smith. He says that he hopes to have an answer to my questions by the end of today..... We will see....
On another note, I have just been past my dealers and I saw a van with this website emblasoned across it http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/coming out of the estate. Now there are two other car dealers on the site, but it makes one wonder!!!!

And good to his word..... here it is in its entirity for you all to see.
Re: Mazda5 tyres
With respect to the tyre wear concern highlighted in your communication, I can confirm that this matter has been investigated by Mazda Corporation. Whilst we have become aware of similar cases of abnormal rear tyre wear on the inner edges, not all cases have been identical in circumstances, as some which refer to front tyres have involved under inflation.
Mazda Corporation has carried out a thorough review of the suspension and alignment settings on the Mazda5 Sport model, which has concluded in the specification being altered to the optimal setting. At the same time, I understand that Dunlop who supply the tyres for this model have carried out a similar review, which has resulted in a change to the tyre construction.
Under normal circumstances, I can confirm that Dunlop as the tyre manufacturer would warrant the tyres on your vehicle, and normal practice would involve pre-payment for any replacements required. After inspecting the returned components and if deemed appropriate, the respective tyre manufacturer would agree to a contribution being made which is based on the remaining residual wear.
In an effort to provide a swifter resolution process, this element of inspection or evaluation by Dunlop has been removed and an agreement reached for direct reimbursement through our authorised dealer network. As part of this process, the residual wear is established and the contribution then calculated based on the cost of the tyres.
In closing, I would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, and trust the above information clarifies our position with regards to this matter.
Yours sincerely
John Smith
Case Manager

Last edited by virgin1; 11-25-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:01 PM

Going back a few posts, if there's a chance of wheels being replaced under warranty, I'd angle for the 16 inch wheels of the TS2 with 205-55 section tyres. We haven't heard of any TS2 owners with wear problems.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 PM

So is this an admission of a problem with the rears wearing on the insides. Certainly looks like it.

Will all Sports now be recalled to apply the new specification of alignment to the optimal setting?

This is good news on one hand but bad on the other as there is still nopublic acknowledgement of the problem.

So basically it looks like MMUK are not going to do anything except keep paying out for replacing Dunlop tyres. What happens if you don't have Dunlops i.e. 2nd set OR when the 3 year warranty expires?

What do you plan to do next?

I've only covered 1500miles in my Furano and am not sure whether I am imagining uneven wear. It almost looks as tough the nearside rear is wearing on the outside edge but it's probably too early to tell. All of this constant checking of tyresis really spoiling the enjoyment of what is otherwise a good car.

Good Luck

Cheers
Rob

PS. Checked my Tyre pressures last night and found 38psi in the fronts and 36psi in the rears (stupidly I'd not checked them since new). I've now set all 4 to 32psi. I'll continue to monitor any adverse wear.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:00 AM

Hi

In response to Jon Smith's letter to CharlottenEddiesdad, I too have had an almost identical letter but from my case manager.

I don't accept their claim that Dunlop would warrant the tyres and that they are short cutting the system to help us. We've bought (or in my case, leased) a Mazda car and not a series of components/parts from various other manufacturers.

I'm still not convenced that they've even resolved this problem. I guess I can only wait and see.

David

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5