Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Gear Stick (manual) Stuck Down in Freezing Weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:47 AM
Default Gear Stick (manual) Stuck Down in Freezing Weather

I've experienced a new complaint for the last two mornings, both of which have seen temperatures of -2C up here in Sunny Manchester, UK.

I have to reverse off my drive, and to select reverse (for those that don't know) the gear stick is pressed down, then left and forwards. This works fine. However, when I take the car out of reverse, the gear-stick remains depressed (ie it doesn't pop back up to it's normal height), and it won't select any gear other than reverse. I have to physically lift the gear-stick back up to it's normal height - a function that I assume is normally acheived by a spring. This problem persists until the car is nice and warm, and then the spring (or whatever it is) decides to work again.

Anyone else experienced this? Or know what is suffering from the cold?

Combined with the creak, groan, crunch of the suspension on any day below 2C, I get the impression that our cars were not tested anywhere cold during the design stages. How on Earth they behave in places colder than Manchester, I can't imagine. Sometimes it's not just the gear-stick on this car that remains depressed, sometimes it's the driver too.

Dave.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Default RE: Gear Stick (manual) Stuck Down in Freezing Weather

Ive also had this problem a couple of times in the cold mornings. Gear changes also generally feel a bit slack (compared to wifes mini which is superb to drive).

Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 AM

I had this problem too, and in my case the temperature didn't matter. I always had to pull the stick up.

I complained to dealer, and they replaced the mechanism (warranty repair). Now the stick pops up as it should.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 AM

I had exactly the same thing on my 2007 diesel sport - apparently it is another "known" issue with a piece of plastic that breaks. I had a replacement mechanism fitted last week under warranty. The gear changes feelMUCH smoother as a result as well as the stick not remaining depressed.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:06 AM

Had mine replaced too by the dealer underwarranty.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM

Well I sort of forgot about this, then when the cold weather returned, so did the sticking down gearstick problem. A new linkage has now been fitted under warranty, it feels SO much better. I would recommend anyone who is approaching the end of their warranty period to have this checked out.

Dave.