Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2001 mazda tribute wont rev pass 2000

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Default 2001 mazda tribute wont rev pass 2000

hi
i have a 2001 mazda tribute that wont rev pass 2000 rpm. it seems like the motor is chokeing. the only thing i change was a flasher/turn signal unit. i get no enigne light. any ideas on this.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Try cleaning the throttle body butterfly plate and the Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve with throttle body cleaner.
This cured my problem of bad acceleration and poor idling.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 PM

If the motor seems like choking it is probably misfiring. When was it the last time you changed the spark plugs, wires and coil packs?

Old 08-08-2013, 12:47 AM

have not changed those scine we bought the truck. we got it used. it ran fine one day and then the next day is was slugish. i will look into changing those.are the coil packs hard to change? also were is the throttle body? also is the a brand of spark plugs i should use?

Last edited by lnbear; 08-08-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM

None of this is truly "hard". But if you are a wrenching rookie (and you are) then you are bound to make some mistakes that could be costly. Most rookies will over-tighten bolts and nuts which strips threads.

Buy a copy of the Haynes manual to familiarize yourself with the vehicle and what it takes to get things done.

You will need some tools and you will have to make a decision if you want to do automotive maintenance yourself of if you want to leave it to a garage. Even if you decide to leave it to a shop the manual will help you understand what they are doing (or supposed to be doing).

Originally Posted by lnbear
have not changed those scine we bought the truck. we got it used. it ran fine one day and then the next day is was slugish. i will look into changing those.are the coil packs hard to change? also were is the throttle body? also is the a brand of spark plugs i should use?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:41 PM

i already have a Haynes manual was ok working on cars when i was younger..lol and you right i dont have to watch overtighten bolts and nuts. i very careful with that part. but it cheaper for me to do it then to have a shop. if i won the lottery it would be different , but i have not. So im tying to save money which i dont have to spend on a shop to do it. thanks for the help. I will post back here when i get things done to let you know how it goes.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 AM

Alright. I was too judgmental. I apologize for that. My lottery ticket was a dud too!

The Haynes manual does a good job showing where the things are, throttle body and coil pack.
It is also helpful to watch some youtubes on diagnostics and such.

Use the same parts that came original on the vehicle. Of course you don't know if the PO put some whacky stuff in it. So go to the parts store websites and make parts searches. Often they say if it is original equipment for the car.

Please put your vehicle data in the signature using the CP (control panel).

Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM

update on truck. We changed the intake manifold gaskets upper and lower. change valve cover gaskets. also clean throttle body and change spark plugs. spark plugs did need to be change. Now we find the front cat is glowing red. Which we believe is causing the truck not to move past 20 mph. Now my question is . if its glowing red is that the one that is needed to be changed? or is the one down stream that may be clog. how can we find out which one?
also thanks for the help it has improved the engine.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by lnbear
update on truck. We changed the intake manifold gaskets upper and lower. change valve cover gaskets. also clean throttle body and change spark plugs. spark plugs did need to be change. Now we find the front cat is glowing red. Which we believe is causing the truck not to move past 20 mph. Now my question is . if its glowing red is that the one that is needed to be changed? or is the one down stream that may be clog. how can we find out which one?
also thanks for the help it has improved the engine.
The front ones "fail", thus causing the rear cat to plug up. I had that issue on my 02, replaced the rear cat with a straight pipe. You should have a couple codes.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:09 PM

Kevin
We get no codes on this. there was a code for the o2 not switching. we changed both o2 sensors.
you say the front one failed causing the back one to clog up.
so if i understand what you are saying. we need to change the back cat. but would we also need to change the front one also?

Quick Reply: 2001 mazda tribute wont rev pass 2000