Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

02 Tribute running ruff

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Default 02 Tribute running ruff

Have recently had the cats replaced on this car.
before that replaced #6 spark plug due to a code received about #6 misfire.
changed out the airfilter and also replaced the EGR value.
With that being said the car is running ruff and at times the engine light comes on. Not sure why this is happening. Please advise as to any fixes that would help improve the performance of this car.
Thanks,

Old 01-12-2014, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

How many cats were replaced?
Get a code check.
More than likely you will need a full set of plugs & coils.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Default Been there done that...

I have owned three Tribs (love 'em, all 02s) and had the pros. with two of them. Dealership put on new converters and still ran horribly. A mechanic at his shop took apart them and the exhaust and found crud in the system of pipes that did not allow the car to breathe or "fart" as he said. Idled high and would not shift well. He cleaned the pipes system out and it runs fine! Dealership service dept. did not fix it properly which disturbed me to no end! Thank goodness for the little guy!!!

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Default Mazda Tribute rough engine?

I have a 2011 Tribute since a month or so with the 4 cylinder engine and with only 15,000km. I find that the engine does not run as quiet and smoothly as I would have expected, especially at idle. It almost seems like you can hear the valves operating. I took it back to the dealer but they said that this "sound" is normal for the Tribute. My wife's 2003 Honda Civic runs smoother and quieter, and I am still thinking that something is not quite right. There was a loose strap at the exhaust system , which they tightened/replaced, but this made no difference to the engine sound.

Any opinions?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 PM

I could not opine with listening to it. I suggest you take it to an independent mechanic for a listen. A sticking hydraulic valve lifter could make significant noise.

The Tribute is the sister model of the Ford Escape. If you have a Ford 4 banger in there you will have to raise your tolerance levels to noise somewhat.

If the independent mechanic says it is normal then you may consider putting a layer of insulation on the underside of the hood. I got a mat of insulation from NAPA for $50 and made the Ford Contour 4 banger quieter.