Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Slave cylinder problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Default Slave cylinder problem?

Hi,
I have a 1989 B2200 and recently the clutch has been in one of two modes.
Very, very stiff to the point that I cannot get it fully depressed or stuck on the floor and I have to pry it up. I just tries bleeding it and was able to see a stream of fluid shoot out but the pedal went straight to the floor and had to be
pried up. Then I was back to the super stiff pedal.

I don't know what it could be except the slave cylinder not working.
Which kind of confuses me because this slave cylinder is months and a couple of hundred miles old. I know the slave cylinders are known to be a weak spot on this truck but I wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas or can tell me how I can be sure that it is the slave cylinder acting up.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

1989 B2200

Old 08-12-2012, 01:15 PM

Sounds like the throwout bearing is sticking, how many miles/kms on the truck?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Now you are scaring me.

189k but I just rebuilt the engine and replaced the throw out bearing about a year ago. If it is the throw out bearing is there anything I can do without dropping the transmission?

You are probably right though because a while ago I found that the pedal went
straight to the floor but I was able to pry it up and it worked fine, for a while, after that. That might have happened twice. This is the first time though that it has been 'stuck' in the 'up' position.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 AM

Did you lightly grease the shaft the throwout bearing slides on? Some transmissions have a grease zerk that can be used to lube the shaft without removing anything.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
Did you lightly grease the shaft the throwout bearing slides on? Some transmissions have a grease zerk that can be used to lube the shaft without removing anything.

I do not remember specifically but if the workshop manual said to do it I did it.

I think I am going to remove the save cylinder from the transmission and see if I can actually see the slave cylinder rod move. If that is the problem I will be very happy.

Thanks,
Jim Lee

Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 AM

Hi all

Sorry it took so long for me to reply on this thread but the problem was the slave cylinder pinion (?) had frozen up...which made me very happy because all I had to do was replace said slave cylinder at a cost of like 16 dollars. I am surprised how quickly this truck goes through slave cylinders. It was really seized up and not very old at all.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM

Jim - I had this happen on mine about a dozen years ago. I replaced both master and slave cylinders because both were lifetime-warrantied.

Did you ditch the mazdatrucking.com board?