Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Clutch slave cylinder R & R.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Default Clutch slave cylinder R & R.

Hi folks: I need to change the slave cylinder on my 1989 323 base 2dr. hatchback 1.6L
and I have never done it before. I have to tell you that i'am good with tools and can do just about anything, because I've done it. So with that said-I need some direction on how to accomplish this. Reason why i'am changing it is because is leaking inside the vehicle on the floor, and I have almost no clutch action to move the vehicle...
Any help will be greatly appreciated-thanks..Oh! I have a Chilton manual, it is of no help-I might have to go on this half coked...

Last edited by candido; 04-10-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 PM

The master cylinder is on the pedal, the slave cylinder is at the clutch. Since you find fluid inside the car are you sure it is from the slave cylinder?
I never did this job myself but I did replace wheel cylinders on drum brakes. I guess it is as simple as that.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 PM

Thanks Tanprotege--I'll look into this. Some one told me that the master is in the engine compartment, and slave was under the cluch pedal. Will advice on what i'll find.

Last edited by candido; 04-11-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

The clutch master cylinder bolts thru the firewall, you can see either side of it from either side of the firewall. This is what would leak above the pedals inside the car.

The clutch slave cylinder bolts to either the inside or outside of the bell-housing. This is where the system is bled.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Angry

Ok. (grim_reaper)-I understand now. So, is there an easy way to remove the master cylinder cuase there is not that much room under the dash. I might have to take the driver seat out,hu?. By the way this is a 1989 vehicle..Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance....

Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 AM

(grim_reaper)-I'am totally confused. I rechecked the clutch situation and there is no hydro reservoir outside, or, inside the vehicle to operate the clutch. What I found is a cable running from the clutch thru the firewall on to the pedal. SO! where is the oil came from that leaked on the floor from the pedal area? What do you think compadre??....
Thanks.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

If its "brake fluid," not oil, and you have a cable actuated clutch, which certainly sounds correct to me, it has to be coming from the brake master cylinder. It may only seem as if coming from the clutch pedal area. I can't say for sure.
If it's "oil" as you say, that's a different can o' worms, but I couldn't imagine what would be there to cause engine oil to come into the cabin.?
You need to identify the fluid you are seeing (brake fluid, some kind of oil, or it could be coolant, or even be plain ole' water coming through the HVAC system) and trace the problem down from there.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Default mazda clutch 89 323

Ok-do kee--Virgin 1,-I will check on this and get back with you. It might take a little while, cause i'am doing fifty things at once.
Have a great day today-and a better one tomorrow!!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Default mazda clutch r&r, or adj.

Ok-Virgin 1, I have concluded that it is a cable from the pedal to the clutch. I have two choices, this cable has been in place since the car was built., So-do I replace it and if so how do I go about it. if I can adjust it, same thing-how do I go about adjustment. Which ever one is the simplest I hope will do the job.
Thanks you....candido

Quick Reply: Clutch slave cylinder R & R.