Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle/knocking at Left front end - under or in front of driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Default Rattle/knocking at Left front end - under or in front of driver

Hi Forum people,

first post.
Long time Mazda 3 owner, now 3.5 weeks into my new CX-5 manual transmission here in Montreal, QC, Canada.

Had a left front side rattle and knocking that sounded usually as if it were coming from the underside, almost like a pebble or wire slapping.

Turns out that some CX5 have a loose nut right in front of the driver. Once tightened, much of that noise goes away. Seems to reinforce the frame.

Now I'm only left with a little too much noise and action at the right side dash and door. I'll start this up in another thread.

Just sharing to try to help somebody else out.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:57 AM
Default rattle over bumps

Hi everybody,

I am new owner of mazda CX 5. After about 3 to 4 weeks I started hearing rattling sound taht is very prominet over bumps and uneven road , also when changing direction. It is extremely annoying and coming somewhere in front of me on both left and right side. I took the car to the service but they colud not find the reason. I have new appointment next week. Menash 2 , could you please tell me what exactly was the problem with your car so I can tell them. Thank you very much.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM

We found the plastic panels on the underside of the car were not properly snapped into place under the right rear passenger seat area, snapped the plastic posts into the proper hole so no more chance of a rattle.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by menash2
Hi Forum people,

first post.
Long time Mazda 3 owner, now 3.5 weeks into my new CX-5 manual transmission here in Montreal, QC, Canada.

Had a left front side rattle and knocking that sounded usually as if it were coming from the underside, almost like a pebble or wire slapping.

Turns out that some CX5 have a loose nut right in front of the driver. Once tightened, much of that noise goes away. Seems to reinforce the frame.

Now I'm only left with a little too much noise and action at the right side dash and door. I'll start this up in another thread.

Just sharing to try to help somebody else out.
menash2, would you please let us know what the fix was for this problem? I also have the rolling rock/loose wire tapping sound in the front driver side. I always thought it was a loose bolt rolling around. Where exactly did they look at? Did you repair it yourself?

Old 06-16-2022, 05:45 PM
Default Rattle/knocking solved

So i have been chasing the same problem for several years. I have finally fixed and eliminated the noise completely. It is the intermediate steering shaft that is loose on the spline from the power steering motor. I made a youtube video to fix. It is unbelievable as it makes such a racket you would swear it's a suspension issue or something very loose. Here is the video with the fix.

Old 05-08-2023, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jdolson
So i have been chasing the same problem for several years. I have finally fixed and eliminated the noise completely. It is the intermediate steering shaft that is loose on the spline from the power steering motor. I made a youtube video to fix. It is unbelievable as it makes such a racket you would swear it's a suspension issue or something very loose. Here is the video with the fix.

Video showing what to tighten to eliminate noise.
We have the same issue and have been back and forth to the mechanic several times. It seems odd, a loose bolt on the inside sounds like it's outside and the wheel is falling off. Hoping to try this tomorrow