Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Front Driver's Side Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Default Front Driver's Side Knocking

I have a 1990 Miata that has recently started knocking all the time. It started off as a single knock any time I braked from a relatively high speed, to a constant knocking every time I brake. Now, It knocks all the time, and only lets up when I brake. The faster I'm going, the faster the knock is, so I'm assuming it's the brake, but not sure exactly. Heard everything from bad suspension to antivibration brackets for my brake pads. Been told in the beginning it's just a noise and I shouldn't be worried about it, but now its just annoying and want it fixed. Any ideas?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Default RE: Front Driver's Side Knocking

i would think you have a bad bushing in the suspension. as you described knocking first, sugests a warped brake rotor, but now it stops only under braking, odd.jack the car up and chock the whells so it won't fall and land on you. have a bud grab the wheel/s and shake them as a left/right turn looking for play in the a-arm to frame connection. also turn the wheel with it in the air. an intermit rub would be a warped rotor. does the steering wheel shake under braking?

Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Default RE: Front Driver's Side Knocking

Got annoyed when nothing I was trying was looking, so I gave in and took it to a brake shop. They confirmed that it is most likely the anti-rattle clips that hold the brake pad in place, but they wanted over $300, so I figured I'd do it myself. The Miata book that I have said that the clips should come with a new set of brake pads, so I bought a set of the front and rear (they needed it anyways). However, they didn't come with the anti-rattle clips. Went to autozone and carquest, they both said i'd have to buy new callipers to get the clips. But I don't want to spend another $240 on a $2 part. Was wondering if anyone knew of another way to get the clips, considering finding a Miata in a junk yard isn't an easy thing to do.