General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

The EGR valve and the converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Default The EGR valve and the converter

I have had my 2005 MPV at a local chain store for routine maintainece, oil change etc. I noticed before going in that the engine light is on and solid. I asked them to look at it. They tell me EGR valve and change it and give it back. Car runs horribly light comes back on and back in it goes. They spend 1/2 a day looking and trying. They tell me that a damaged catalytic converter is the culprit and I should go to the dealer. I think I should have done this in the first place but dealers are not nearby.
Has this happened to anyone? DOes this happen to MPV's? Did they break something and screw up my CC? If anyone has an answer I would love to hear about it.
OldDog

Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi OldDog. Sorry to hear of your problem(s.)

It is possible to screw up the cat if you have been running higher than recommended octane fuel. Other than that, a cat should last between 100k and 200k miles (rough guesstimate) w/o issue., but I wouldn't think that to be the problem.

Please keep in mind that they are "reading codes" from the ECU. These ONLY serve as a guide and do not necessarily tell the mechanic/"technician" exactly where the problem is, only where/what is being sensed. Remember there are many electronic sensors in the modern engine compartment. One simple problem may throw as many as five different codes. I had this happen to me when my MAF sensor was acting up. "Rich at idle", "O2 sensor not working", "Low idle", etc.... none of which pointed directly to the MAF.

Chain stores are a PITA and you may not be getting the best advice. They are usually held to a monthly income and will make it however they can. These often include, hiring the cheapest help they can and selling the customer much, MUCH more than that customer needs.
Go to a reputable shop and ask them to "read the codes." See what they say about it. Then get your money back from good ole' Big Box after you find out they had no idea what they were doing. You will feel so much better if you do.

Last edited by virgin1; 06-21-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 AM

Because of limited space, the pre-cat on the firewall side of the engine is designed differently from the pre-cat on the other cylinder bank. Premature failure of this pre-cat is apparently fairly common with MPV's.