Electronics, Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Seat belt "chime"..2005 MPV

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Default Seat belt "chime"..2005 MPV

Hello all,new to your forum..I have a 2005 MPV. It's a great van,looking forward to many trouble-free miles with the van with hopefully fewer repairs than I had with the Olds van it replaced. What I need to know is this: there isn't a "chime" nagging me to buckle up, only an "idiot light" on the dashboard. Does anyone know of a simple way to add a chime? Our family has lost 2 relatives due to fatal crashes in the last 3 weeks (not buckled in) & I am finding myself needing this potentially life-saving annoyance to get me in the habit full time. My mechanic says that he could possibly tap-in where the 12 volt feeds the seat belt indicator light on the dashboard &wire that to a buzzer or chime of some sort, butI'm concerned that there would be a risk around cutting into the wiring harness.This would doubtless violate my remaining mechanical warranty, as well as possibly creating more problems than it solved. I'm wondering if there's a "plug-in" option instead. Maybe a module from a newer (or older?) model of Mazda car or van? My mechanic's quite a talented guy;runs a service department for the local Goodyear store, installed a great after market audio sytem & remote-start alarm for my van for me..he did both of these without puncturing the wiring harness,so he's well aware of that risk (air-bags deploying,sirens,etc) So with all that info, does anyone have a suggestion? I would appreciate any& all responses, as well as any thoughts about owning my van & what sort of mechanical problems/recalls that I might want to watch out for down the road (46,000 currently) Thanks in advance, Corky Willams,KC,Mo.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Seat belt "chime"..2005 MPV

Well, WELCOME new member corky williams!!
It's not often I hear of someone that WANTs the seat belt chime. I'm amazed!!
There is a way to disable and enable the chime. I'm sure there's one there. Take it back to your dealer (sorry. I know what a hassle that can be) and ask them to "enable" the seat belt chime. If it's been disabled (or was never enabled) as I suspect, it will have to be re-enabled by tapping into the car's computer... through the OBDII port if I'm not mistaken? Or you might call a dealer and ask.