General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

mpv door chime disable

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Default mpv door chime disable

I use my 00 mpv van for camping at the races and wish to enjoy the radio with the slide doors open.

how to disable the incessant door chime???

Chris

Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Default RE: mpv door chime disable

By far the easiest would be to turn the key to 'run' position instead of 'acc'. If that is too much of a draw on the system or you do not like the dash lights and all on then just remove the grounding screws for the door switches that you want to disable. The computer will then not know the door is open and chime will shut off. First pic below is the front door switch. Second is of the rear sliding door. Rear one is at the far rear of door opening mounted on the body and switch looks just like the front. Phillips screw driver is all that is needed although you will want a 3-4" stubby for rear due to limited access.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/B6017F29F8C44F4697061153CCA7DB22.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/C72FF2615C434EAF99E821ABE3C6E176.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 AM

Thanks, Huey..

I thought there might be a more "sanitary" way; my concern is once the screws are removed, the switches will flop loosely and prevent the doors from closing when its time to drive away. Should I "shunt" the wiring and then reinstall the switch screws?

The chime is difficult to remove?!!? I've crawled under the dash, accessible from the floor area of the drivers side.. It is so hard to isolate the location by sound, I've tried! (haha).

Maybe another way to attack the solution would be to make the stereo circuit "hot", thus requiring no key?
Could this be done easily at the fuse panel?
(That would eliminate the draw from the interior lights and anything else too, right?)

Yes, the key in "run" is too much draw, lights, dash, ...my mpv also seems to have a faulty cooling fan switch, it runs too.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:07 PM

My intent on removing the screws mgrider was that you would be able to easily reinstall them after the race and then door ajar system would be back to normal. They would flop around and probably get broken when closing the door if not resecured. If you want to make it a more permanent disable then just disconnect the connector off of the end of the switch. CPU would never know the doors were ever opened and interior lights would also remain off. Just make sure to maybe tie a little string between switch and connector so it does not fall down inside the interior panel if you ever want to reconnect.

The chime is built into the CPU and would take some tricky solder removal off of the printed circuit to disable just the chime portion.

You can turn on the radio with key off but is even less 'sanitary'. If you remove the "CIGAR" fuse and apply 12 volts to the left side hole left from the fuse 'legs', then the radio will come on with key off. Dome lights and door courtesy lights will still come on however and only way to shut them off is to pull the "ROOM" fuse which also kills the radio.