Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

OEM HID Conversion Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Default OEM HID Conversion Help

First off, I'm new to the forum.....so hello to all.

I'm attempting a HID conversion on my Halogen equipped '09 CX-9. I purchased complete (used) OEM headlight assemblies from a HID equipped CX-9. Will the main harness be "plug and play" and what would be required to run wiring to the OEM ballast?

If this is the wrong section or you know of a better section to ask this question, please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 12-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Oooo. That's a tough one w/o seeing the car. I'm sure many of us here have never even seen under the hood of a 9.
Some pictures of what you have and what there is might help a bit though?
Did you get the entire assems out of the donor car including any switches? I know the 3 series w/factory HIDs has a height adjustment switch on the dash, but don;t know if the 9's are set up that way.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 PM

I bought two headlight housings and the ballasts....no switches. I'll will take a few pics monday of the headlights and the ballast. The main plug (from the car) connects to the HID headlight connector with no problem (I hope the wires perform the same functions). The OEM HID ballast has it's own connector but my halogen equipped vehicle doesn't have that connector/wiring.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Ballast & Igniter:
Name:  Ballast.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  66.1 KB

Ballast Connector:
Name:  ballastconnector.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  60.5 KB

HID Headlight Main Connector:
Name:  HIDconnector.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  96.3 KB
(Brown wire & White wire run to a component only found on the HID assembly):
Name:  HIDMotor.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  68.9 KB

Halogen Headlight Main Connector:
Name:  HalogenConnector.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  92.1 KB
(red wire runs to halogen bulb):
Name:  HalogenBulbConnector.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  109.0 KB

Last edited by lfsglass; 12-18-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

So your gray colored two-wired connector (pic #6) connects to the 90* yellow connector on the igniter box/bulb socket (pic #1.) Is that right?
Hmmm.... I'm not sure.
I'm trying to remember how my conversion kits connected, and I believe the original halogen bulb connector connected directly to the ballast. The igniter was in-line and did not require a separate power supply.

What about visiting a dealer and asking to look under the hood of what I assume would be a CX9 GT?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1
So your gray colored two-wired connector (pic #6) connects to the 90* yellow connector on the igniter box/bulb socket (pic #1.) Is that right?
Hmmm.... I'm not sure.
I'm trying to remember how my conversion kits connected, and I believe the original halogen bulb connector connected directly to the ballast. The igniter was in-line and did not require a separate power supply.

What about visiting a dealer and asking to look under the hood of what I assume would be a CX9 GT?

I was thinking the red wire on the halogen connector (that currently runs to the halogen bulb) would connect to the new HID Ballast along with a ground. I guess the brown wire and the white wire (on the HID connector) would run to a dash mounted switch for the hight adjustment control....?

Does anyone have a photo of the hight adjustment switch? Does any one have a photo of the wiring at that switch?