Site Updates & Announcements Stop in here to get the latest on MF happenings!

Profile Visitor Messages - SPAMMERS and SCAMMERS

Old 04-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Exclamation Profile Visitor Messages - SPAMMERS and SCAMMERS

Hello Members,

It has recently been brought to my attention that the possibility exists that a SPAMMER or SCAMMER could go unnoticed by the staff by posting only visitor messages on members (your) profile pages, or in your picture albums and garages.

Two (three?) members recently got and reported one of these posts by a SPAMMER which included an unknown link. Thankfully, they did not click the link. I want to thank them publicly for doing that. (You know who you are.)

This SPAMMER claimed to be new and looking for "friend's" but had never actually posted on the forum before. The sharp eyes of these two (again, three) members noticed that the SPAMMER had actually signed up over 2 years ago. During which time three other members had gotten similar messages, but never reported them to the Mods here.

Short of literally going through every one's profile pages (THOUSANDS,) we (the staff of the forum) have no way of seeing this kind of negative activity. Therefore, we must rely on your good judgment to report what doesn't seem right to you, whether it be found on the forum pages, your forum profile page, or an album or garage.

The Internet is a dangerous place these days, but we here at MazdaForum do our very best to keep this site as clean and safe for you as possible.
Over the +/-5 yrs I have overseen this forum I have personally put my own computer at risk to check out links posted in the forum. I have also been known to make phone calls to some of these businesses to see if they are legit, all in a effort to make things here as safe for you as possible.

But we need YOUR help. We can't see everything and do it all by ourselves.

Please take a minute to report ANY issues that seem wrong to you. I myself check in to the site numerous times every day and am subscribed to a many full sections as well as individual threads, notified by e-mail immediately, which I also check numerous times a day.

Unlike some forums I am familiar with, when you report a post here from anywhere on the site, it goes out to ALL the Moderators, not just the one or two from that section. That means if I'm not on or can't be on at a particular time, there usually is someone that is on, or can get on to look at the problem.

And also please remember to be careful what links you post, and that they are legit businesses/contacts or that you've had personal good experiences with.

Thank you all very much,

Virgin1, Senior Moderator, www.MazdaForum.com

Last edited by virgin1; 04-01-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Thanks Richard; we all owe you thanks for keeping this place as free of the scum of the internet as possible.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

And I owe great members like you a big thanks for making it possible by reporting all that you see.

Thanks, Dale.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks. I really appreciate all you do. I'm new herea and am glad to see how well you and everyone takes care of the place. I did get a private message that looked fishy and by the time I got a chance to report it, that person had already been banned. Kudos!