Sights N Sounds Post all of your video and sound clips here.

Old nav chip in new car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Default Old nav chip in new car

My 2016 cx5 was written off recently. I have since purchased another 2016 cx5 with nav. I would like to use my old nav chip in my new car as I had an extensive list of favourites in it but I was told each nav chip is set up for a specific vin number. Can anyone help with this?

Old 07-20-2019, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

The SD card is locked to the vin number after about 1000 kms / 600 miles of driving.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:41 AM

While I have never tried it, your favorites may be saved on the NAV SD Card. If so, you may be able to find them and save them on the new NAV Card in the same place.

They may also be saved on the car's hard drive, which if this is the case, moving the SD Card from one vehicle would not move the favorites.

The NAV Card can be bought on Amazon for around $100.00. The ones on Amazon apparently do not work on the new 2019 Mazda3. At this point, Mazda3 buyers appear to be stuck with the 450.00 bill from the dealer or Apple CarPlay/Android Auto for now.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:58 AM

Just bought a nav SD card from NavKings on eBay for $65. Booted right up. I'll take it back out today and load it up on Toolbox and see if it has any updates. NavKings purports that this is a "real" Mazda SD card removed from a rental fleet and not a copy.
As previously stated, the Mazda navigation sucks. Android Auto is far better and my main navigation app. However, for $65, the SD card was a good backup for when there's no cell reception and I forgot to download the offline maps for Google Maps.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by TB250
Just bought a nav SD card from NavKings on eBay for $65. Booted right up. I'll take it back out today and load it up on Toolbox and see if it has any updates. NavKings purports that this is a "real" Mazda SD card removed from a rental fleet and not a copy.
As previously stated, the Mazda navigation sucks. Android Auto is far better and my main navigation app. However, for $65, the SD card was a good backup for when there's no cell reception and I forgot to download the offline maps for Google Maps.
"the Mazda navigation sucks" is too harsh in my opinion. While I use Waze for longer trips for the increase accuracy of the calculated time to destination and the real time reporting of problems along the way, the Mazda system is better for me on a day-to-day basis. The integration with traffic with SiriusXM Travel Link, not having to plug in my phone and fact that it is easier to use than Waze makes it worth the money for me.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:59 PM

I live in Washington State and have a '21 CX5 GTR also. I bought the same SD card (from NavKings) as you did (TD2K66EZ1) and it works perfectly. As a test I just entered an address of one of my Canadian (BC) friends and it seemed to work just fine.

So I'm wondering if perhaps the SD card is defective or the Canadian cars differ in some respect so that this SD card won't work. You might contact the vendor and ask them about this.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zingowner
I live in Washington State and have a '21 CX5 GTR also. I bought the same SD card (from NavKings) as you did (TD2K66EZ1) and it works perfectly. As a test I just entered an address of one of my Canadian (BC) friends and it seemed to work just fine.

So I'm wondering if perhaps the SD card is defective or the Canadian cars differ in some respect so that this SD card won't work. You might contact the vendor and ask them about this.

Good luck.
I bought mine from Amazon and took a pic of the remodel # I live in wa state too and have never had an issue. Too bad my subscrition is already expired