Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

What worst car have you bought ever?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 AM

Z24 Cavalier can't remember the exact year, the model with the digital dash. I had electrical problems all the time, come to think of it one year the cluster looked like a Christmas tree with all the warning lights on at the same time. When I finally got some of the electrical problems fixed the car actually ran very good, zippy v-6 even though it was front wheel drive.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 PM

If we can include cars we have driven then i have a few i can add to the list

99 Saturn SL1-Pretty much a car that was maintained to run atleast 1 week after it was bought from a used car dealership. Rusted underside, slow sloppy shifts, no *** to it whatsoever, o but the inside was nice and clean.

09 Mustang GT-Slightly used only 15k miles on it, interior and exterior was nice for what it was. I know it was a V-6 but i guess i expected a little too much from it, sloppy handling, iffy streering response overall just boring and bland.

98 Mustang 5.0-Basic bolt-ons I/H/E, as if it wasent bad enough that it had sumitumo tires on it, it was just a dog. No interior light, ripped interior, idle issues and studdering up top, thing couldnt find its way out of a wet paperbag.

Pontiac Fiero-The name should say it all, again exterior and interior was kept nice but, when the ignition system was finally fixed it made it feel like it wasent even worth it. Autotradgic shifted fine but holy crap was it slow, didnt bother taking turns with it i could tell the weight distribution didnt look stable. To be honest i dont even know how the f i fit in it.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

I've driven and owned many gutless cars over the years, and many that were not all that reliable too.
Depending on your definition of "worst:"
I could include my MG's that required nearly constant attention, but were a blast to drive and I'd do it again. 'Just something about those old British cars.

Opel Kadette Rally (yes, with a "K".) Talk about a gutless wonder. 1100cc, twin Solex downdraft carbs all for about 40hp... 25 by the time I got it. This car took a hard hit in the RF before I bought it and I had no clue. I found out when I put bigger tires on it and the RF rubbed on the inside. The RF suspension/frame/chassis had been pushed back about 3/4". Best thing about this car was when folding the seat forward, the WHOLE SEAT went up and forward, not just the back. Lotsa' room for some teenage lovin' in the back... and man did my gf at the time love that. We became regulars at the local Drive-In theaters.

The biggest disappointment in any car I've owned was a 1982 Nissan Stanza 2dr HB I bought used in '84. We got it in on a trade when I worked for a Jeep dealer and I thought it was a cool car. Low mileage, I got it for wholesale being an employee and it was the first car I ever owned w/power steering, a 5-speed (vs. a 3 or 4-sp) and A/C. I put on bigger wheels and tires which made it look GREAT. I installed a full Alpine/Infinity system, and rear window louvers (somewhat popular at that time.) I installed an aftermarket sway bar in the rear because the car didn't come with any from the factory. Let me tell you, I was stylin', Men!!
Nothin'!! Nothing made that car any better, and the steering feel was for sh*t to begin with. Completely dead feeling. Then, the factory carb took a dump around 35k. I thought about converting to a Weber, but those were the days of early attempts at automotive electronics when the cars computer controlled the carburetor. The engine compartment was a mess of vacuum hoses and electronics. So I went with a new factory carb. $650 @ wholesale cost in 1986!!! (I was in the business then.) Shortly after that, the head gasket went bad and that was it for me.
I guess that one would have to be my worst car.

Last edited by virgin1; 12-20-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Wink

I've had bad luck with Pontiac cars. The first one I purchased new was a 1999 Pontiac Grand-Am Se with V6. This is car had sequetial fuel injection. It went like snot. It was the best car I've ever had up to that point. Then after the first 10,000 kms. All bets were off. It had the best shifting autobox, great ride. Then after the 10k the problems started. Brakes, brakes, brakes. Then trans troubles. And so on and so on. I ended up paying a small fortune to trade it in for a new suzuki wagon my wife drives. I took my 95 Suzuki Swift back and let her have the new wagon. I drove the Swift for a few more years. Total 12 years. Then, the frame cracked where the control arm bracket mounts. Off to the dump, with a awsome engine and manual trans intact. Sad day indeed. This is also the weekend I was moving into my new house. So I needed a car bad. I purchaced a 02 Pon Sunfire. Used my line of cred to buy. (Don't ask) What an embarrasing pos this car turned out to be. Noise after noise after noise. Finally, the lower end started to sound funny at the crank shaft. It went away. When it did, I quickly traded it in for my 2007 Mazda 3. Off to auction that pos went. Needless to say. Even though I am all for the Chevy Volt and the idea behind it. I don't think I will be too quick to buy a GM. No matter what Obama says.

Merry Xmas too all.