Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Weigh-In: The Phillies or the Rays?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Default RE: Weigh-In: The Phillies or the Rays?

well i guess im not that smart lol

Old 10-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Well, its October again and while I am not a fan of football I am a pretty big baseball fan.
I thought it time to reestablish, re: BUMP this thread.
Weigh in with your thoughts and ideas.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM
VB

I reiterate my hatred for any team from Philadelphia. I'm also anti-Steinbrenner Yankees. I'm not particularly fond of anyone left, my emotional favorite was the Rockies.

As it stands, it's probably be Dodgers/Angels. And that wouldn't be so bad, really. Though I would love to see Joe Torre beat the Yankees.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Torre beating the Yankees would be a reckoning, but I have always had my suspicions that Torre leaving was not as cut and dried as the Media made it out to be... that in fact it was planned by Steinbrenner and Torre.
Remember, people like that leave nothing to chance. They plan everything to their advantage.
I, on the other hand, a long time Phillies fan through thick AND thin (just as I am a Rangers fan now) part of me hopes that they have a chance for a second victory.
On the OTHER, other hand, I find myself liking the AL more than I ever liked the NL and as such am hoping the A's take it in the long run.
I am a torn fan. The old NL team (Phillies) vs. the new AL league (in this case the A's.)

Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 PM
VB

I don't like AL ball. Everything is reliant on slugging percentages and home runs. The NL has been the more fundamentally skilled of the two leagues in recent memory.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know how you can say that? What is your reasoning? The DH rule?
If that's it, I have to say that pitchers make the worst batters in the world with averages usually well below 200. Its really sad to see a pitcher trying to hit the ball. Painful, in fact. They don't train to hit, are not made to concentrate on their batting and usually look VERY uncomfortable looking at the game (and the ball) from that perspective.
That being the case, what's the point? May as well have a DH.
While I know this is changing a bit now, for years NL parks were generally made of AstroTurf while AL parks (generally) had natural grass.
Turf allows the ball to "skip" better and go further, but is more consistent. Its easier to judge where it might end up.
Even with highly manicured grass, the ball can take unusual hops and stops meaning the batter and the defensive team must both be on their toes to figure out where it will go.
That's baseball, imo. That's the way I see it, at least.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 AM

the jays were doing SOOO DAMN WELL then they lost it... i dunno i say the angels takin it.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

The same with me and my Rangers, Jaimie. They look so good all season long and then always seem to blow it at or near the end.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 PM
VB

Originally Posted by virgin1

I don't know how you can say that? What is your reasoning? The DH rule?
If that's it, I have to say that pitchers make the worst batters in the world with averages usually well below 200. Its really sad to see a pitcher trying to hit the ball. Painful, in fact. They don't train to hit, are not made to concentrate on their batting and usually look VERY uncomfortable looking at the game (and the ball) from that perspective.
That being the case, what's the point? May as well have a DH.
While I know this is changing a bit now, for years NL parks were generally made of AstroTurf while AL parks (generally) had natural grass.
Turf allows the ball to "skip" better and go further, but is more consistent. Its easier to judge where it might end up.
Even with highly manicured grass, the ball can take unusual hops and stops meaning the batter and the defensive team must both be on their toes to figure out where it will go.
That's baseball, imo. That's the way I see it, at least.
How often do you see small ball in the AL though? I can't remember the last time I saw a Yankee/Red Sock/Angel bunting his man over to second base.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

One word... Frequently. Granted, they prefer to "swing-away" as often as possible, but I have seen the sacrifice bunt regularly in AL.

Quick Reply: Weigh-In: The Phillies or the Rays?