Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

unhappy experience buying a mazda

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:49 AM
Default unhappy experience buying a mazda

proud owner of a new mazdaspeed 6. test drove many cars within this price range, picked the mazdaspeed 6 because of its power, handling, practicality and carftmanship. new gti, audi A3 and the altima SE-R came close and i finally chose the mazdaspeed 6.

bought the car at Browning Mazda in Cerritos auto square. test drove it in the morning, negotiated the price, decided to share this joyful moment with my girlfriend so I told them I'll pick up the car when we both get off work after 7.00pm. told them I wanted a blk one with low miles on it, sales promised me it'd be ready for me when I come back. called him up before I got off work and check if the car is ready and how many miles on it, answer was 'yes, got you a shiny one with 11 miles on the clock' when we got there I saw my blk speed 6 all dusty and charging. I asked him again how many miles on the clock again he said 11 miles. Im a little cautious because turbo cars and 4wd, when ppl test drive they drop clutch and launch the car. with a 11 mile car Im please with it, clearly it hasn't been test drove before.

after 3 hrs of paperwork signing and extra hr of waiting for them to wax the car, I got the key and started the car, 84 miles shown on the odometer. not what was promised and written on the contract. so I got off the car and asked what happened, this sales manager KEVIN KNUTSEN turned real aggresive on me. I understand its 11.00pm and Im was starving and cold. with a polite apologies I would have walked off the lot. No, no apologies were made, instead with a gangster attitude, threaterning tone:'this is the only car we got, take it or leave, 82 miles car is no demo car, it is brand new never been test driven. I know you never had a brand new car before. what do you want me to do, you wasted my whole day already! you can call off the deal and take your junk (my mazda mx-6 trade in) out of here. he then threw me the key. what about my cash down payment? he told me to come back tomorrow, just leave without any paper work to proof I gave them $3000. at the end he calulated 73 miles are worth $10 so he gave me a oil change free.

it is not a free oil change I was after, I was after a car that can give me a piece of mind, a car that has not been abused before, or just a little apology that they made a mistake. instead the magager Kevin Knusten put all the fault on a new sale trainee, made me leave without a car and no down payment back, a car that does not match the contract. I swear if I wasn't so hungry and cold I would have called the cops right there, dont know what they can do but at least a police report to prove they have my $3000. this is a lemon car as far as Im concerned!

having purchased brand new acura and bmw (still have it) and various used cars at different dealer, this is by far the most unhappy experience. dont get me wrong mazda car is great but just do not buy it from Browning Mazda! or Kevin Knutsen in particular!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:55 AM
Default RE: unhappy experience buying a mazda

What a crappy experience for buying a new car!!!!! That salesman should be shot or at least fired for being such an a$$. Where is Browning Mazda so we will all know where not to go to purchase our next Mazda.

PS Glad to have you stop by here bmwe46330 and relay that information to all of the rest of us. Hope you really enjoy the new Speed6. It is a really good ride. Best Speed product that Mazda has put out.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:46 AM

thank you for the welcome and I just want everyone to have a happy moment when buying new cars ( it should have been anyways). Browning Mazda is in Cerritos so when shopping for a Mazda, watch out guys.
I always knew the speed 6 is on the heavy side but it handles better than I thought. much improvement over the 93 mx-6 I traded in. i think is a great bang for the buck!

Old 08-29-2006, 10:32 AM

Nothing can ruin a customer relationship faster than a bad dealer.

I would have called the cops to at least get a receipt for the $3000 you put down.

FYI.....Federal government reimburses mileage at $.445/mile....So 71 miles would be $31.60

Old 08-29-2006, 03:23 PM

Okay, the situation really sucks with the sales manager. He needs to be reported to the GM or the owner of the company. Even to the Better Business Bureau.

But, calling the car a lemon just because they stated the wrong mileage on the contract, and it wasn't ready for pick-up by the time you got there...? I don't think so. That's a legal matter...he also tried to make right by repaying you for the incorrect mileage in some form. If you don't want an oil change...tell them what you want. See what they'll work out with you. It might get you somewhere...it might not. 82 miles isn't really a reason to mak a big stink over. Them giving you the incorrect mileage should be confronted with a higher up. Which, obviously it already has been. Any problems you have...you always take it up to the next level until you get to the owner. He's the top guy (or the President of the company).

Old 08-29-2006, 03:32 PM

I would have "accidently" backed the car over his prone body a few tmes..................ooops...........how'd he get there?? as I stashed the bloody bat in the trunk of my almost brand new mazda

Old 08-30-2006, 08:00 PM

it is deff pretty upsetting when you have a bad experience with buying a brand new car. When i bought my mazda3 in nov of 05 i was at the dealership just about all day was waiting to sign the loan papers. The sales manager comes out and says their was a mistake with your credit app and told me that my interest was going to be 12 percent on a brand new car. I handed the keys back and said i will take my business elseware and left. The next day i get a call from the salesman that was selling me the car. This is what they offered me free oil changes for the lifetime of the car, free loaner car, free minor maintance on the car for life of loan, and 2 free details a year for the lifetime of the loan. I told him i would take it and be back in to sign the papers on saturday. So it started out as a crappy experience turning into a great one. Now evertime i go into the dealership for anything they are all very pleasent to me asking me how the car is and how i am.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 PM

You didn't accept the 12% interest for that deal did you????????

Assuming a 15,000 loan amount, you'd be paying ~$1800/year in interest, assume 4 year payoff and they are getting $7200 extra out of you.....

that's a ton of oil changes and detailing......

Old 08-31-2006, 12:26 PM

oh heck no! I went to my own bank and got a loan for 7 percent. Not bad considering my credit is bad. The only bad thing now is i bought the car near where my parents use to live. So the dealership is an hour away from where i live.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:34 PM

Good to hear.

Now if you want to save even more money, and you're a homeowner with sufficient equity in your house, you can take out a home equity loan (rates are right around the 6.5-7% range now) to pay off your car, then you can write the interest off of your income taxes at the end of the year (dropping the effective interest rate to around 4.5-5%)

Although if your credit is bad, that may not work for you (do everything you can to get your credit score up....it will save you TONS of money in the future.)

Quick Reply: unhappy experience buying a mazda