Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

sstlaure & the Ford Flex

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: sstlaure & the Ford Flex

Hey, hey hey!! This was supposed to be a positive thread about an accomplishment one of our members was involved in.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM

No sweat V1

Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Now, about my "inaccuracies:" Scott, I understand that you did not have directinput(?) on these particular seats, but that you were were part of the "team" that did, and that you were intrumental in designing this seat line.
So take the bow in the spirit that it was intended... and SHUT UP!!!
j/k

Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

I was just trying to say that I'm proud to know you and I think others hereare too. And this comes from a generally "non-Ford" kinda' guy too.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I was just trying to say that I'm proud to know you and I think others hereare too. And this comes from a generally "non-Ford" kinda' guy too.
You might be non-Ford, but I'm Chevy. That makes me an even stronger dissentient. [8D]

And hoorah for a new Focus hatchback. I always liked them.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:44 PM

ORIGINAL: sstlaure

Thanks guys...although virgin1's info is a little inaccurate. I am working on the same family of seats that we are using in many of the new vehicles, but not specifically on the Flex. They are very nice seats.

If you look at the Flex in the correct context (Full-size SUV replacement) you have the same utility as a full-size SUV, it costs less to buy, andyou get ~22 mpg instead of 13mpg. For larger families, small cars just don't work.
Look at any new or used car lot in any city right now, and tell me if youwhatyou see substantiates thatlarge cars and SUVs "work"? If they work so well, how come no one is buying them? If you havea family of3 or more kids, the way the econ is right now, the last thing you are doing is running out andbuyinga gas sucking SUV (unless you are upper class). SUVs are going the way of the mullet. BTW - 22 mpg (or even 24 mpg) highway is pretty sucky mileage, actually. There are many mid size sedans that get 30ish mpg highway. Mid size sedans have plenty of room, if your family has 2 or less kids, they have more than enough room.

Tell me again about how smart Ford has been to fight against CAFE for the last 15 years? Maybe you will, since it seems your still drinking that Ford 1990s vintage jonestown koolaid.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:08 AM
VB

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA

ORIGINAL: sstlaure

Thanks guys...although virgin1's info is a little inaccurate. I am working on the same family of seats that we are using in many of the new vehicles, but not specifically on the Flex. They are very nice seats.

If you look at the Flex in the correct context (Full-size SUV replacement) you have the same utility as a full-size SUV, it costs less to buy, andyou get ~22 mpg instead of 13mpg. For larger families, small cars just don't work.
Look at any new or used car lot in any city right now, and tell me if youwhatyou see substantiates thatlarge cars and SUVs "work"? If they work so well, how come no one is buying them? If you havea family of3 or more kids, the way the econ is right now, the last thing you are doing is running out andbuyinga gas sucking SUV (unless you are upper class). SUVs are going the way of the mullet. BTW - 22 mpg (or even 24 mpg) highway is pretty sucky mileage, actually. There are many mid size sedans that get 30ish mpg highway. Mid size sedans have plenty of room, if your family has 2 or less kids, they have more than enough room.

Tell me again about how smart Ford has been to fight against CAFE for the last 15 years? Maybe you will, since it seems your still drinking that Ford 1990s vintage jonestown koolaid.
There is no need to be harsh, we all have our loyalties. I know I'd defend Chevy to near the hilt, without falling on my sword of course.

You're right, large SUVs are not what we need. For large families that don't want a minivan (understandably, as minivans suck), what's wrong with going back to the wagon? Wagons are just as capable of hauling things and people as SUVs, without the obnoxious road presence, huge curb weight, or petrol thirst.

30MPG is a good benchmark, but much more can be done. Unfortunately, some efficiency improvements are offset by added weight (TCS, StabiliTrak, ABS, etc.). There's no excuse for anything "practical" on the road to get anything less than 28-30MPG highway.

And tbh, if I had 3 kids...if a 3HB wasn't large enough, I'd probably wind up buying a Suby Outback wagon.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 AM

stupid thing won't let me post.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the kind words V1 and others...it's nice to belong to a friendly/supportive web group....

UB...I never said full-size SUV's/trucks work, but it is funny that even with sales being at an all-time low, the F-series is still the best selling vehicle line in America.

Quick Reply: sstlaure & the Ford Flex