Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Default Should I?

im trying to decide weather i should get a turbo for my car, or go out and my a new 07 wrx. i originally wanted a speed 3 but that is next to impossible to get so i guess the wrx would be the most logical choice. what would you do?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Default RE: Should I?

hmm....i'd only get the wrx sti. and the previous models... the new ones look funny.
but if you turbo your car, it'll cost you probably 4-6 thousand dollars. but you geta 500 hp car if you use the hiboost kit with forged rods
however. buying a wrx also gets you upgraded everything else.
ie. suspension,racing seats, 6 speed tranny, 4wd, etc, etc.
it'll probably cost you more, but i'd go with the wrx. i see tonnes of mazdas everyday, and maybe like, 3 wrx's a week.

and by the way, when car and driver reviews the speed3, one of the the highs of the car were "ready to murder wrx's by third gear"
just so ya know

Old 02-09-2007, 12:30 AM

o i know, they are well matched. but the speed 3 is impossible to get where im at, ive seen one where i live. the wrx would be cheaper then the speed3 at nearest mazda dealers. i think the new ones look better, not as ricey which is i think a good thing. and the 4wd factor since i live in new england, just seems like the right choice.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:21 AM

i say turbo the 3 only cuz im tired of seeing wrx although they are nice its just thats there are too many of them (depending on where u live), and its hard to do something that has already been done before, but dentiger is right the wrx offers a mean 6 speed, a nice suspension setup, and the other things he mentioned, but i think you can make a faster 3 cheaper than a mostly track wrx

Old 02-09-2007, 11:11 AM

i would like to turbo the 3 but i want something that is reliable. i have no warrenty on my car and i would feel like i have to buy a cheap second car in case of something going wrong.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:43 AM

there are two things you have to make yourself aware of, the first is wondering if the shop put the parts in right and have it tuned correctly, and then you have to worry about how you are treating your car, there can be no shortcuts when it comes to mateinence. The only thing i heard of something going wrong in there turbo 3 is the tranny blowing but the guy runs it to the ground, so far Juan has had the setup in his car for a while and so far he has had no problems

Old 02-10-2007, 12:33 PM

yea, ive heard good things about it but i have a automatic and a manuel would be much more fun

Old 02-12-2007, 07:13 AM

automatics use the turbo more effectivly than manuals but they dont power made by it as well as manuals, im keeping my car auto when i turbo it, and id agree with you that autos are less fun it it werent for the tiptronic ability, for its fun, but full auto puts me to sleep...and lose races.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:54 PM

i HATE driving in auto cars, or being in a auto car.
cuz the speed goes up, the revs go up, and your like, ok, time to shift, but it shifts on it's own. it just bugs the **** outta me
and manual cars seem way faster. they also get better fuel economy

i wonder what paddle shifters feel like...

Old 02-12-2007, 11:03 PM

i think paddle shifters would be fun for a while then they would get boring. i think nothing is better then the stick

Quick Reply: Should I?