Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Renesis' Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Renesis' Update Thread

LORDY!!! That PP is scored!! I can't remember ever seeing one that bad before. Not even the one I took out of my Opel after teaching a neighborhood girl how to drive stick!! (<<< I'm not kidding.That really happened. She burnedout my clutch in less than three lessons.) I'm glad to say however that she did learn to drive stick and to this day doesn't drive anything else.
The car's looking good though Ren... and the pics are getting better too!!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM

yeah i am not that bad at driving but i'm sure i contributed.

And thanks. i'm trying to take better photos.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:56 AM

i can haz clear cornerz

and i took some extra stickers that i had from when i did my calipers and put them on my pillars for the heck of it.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Niiicceee, Jen!!
Keep up the good work. You'll have that car in like-new condition in no time.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:49 AM

those pics r beautiful.. how does the new clutch feel?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Good question!! How does the new clutch feel? Did you install an OE, Stage1 or some other "special" unit in there.
Given the opportunity, I'd do a lightened flywheel in my 3 (though not in an 8) and a stage1. The difference in the cost of the clutches is almost nil. It's the labor that'll kill you.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Good question!! How does the new clutch feel? Did you install an OE, Stage1 or some other "special" unit in there.
Given the opportunity, I'd do a lightened flywheel in my 3 (though not in an 8) and a stage1. The difference in the cost of the clutches is almost nil. It's the labor that'll kill you.

is there any hp gain? i dont kno jack squat bout clutches or flywheels..

Old 05-25-2008, 12:33 PM

whoa whoa whao boys overwhelming me whoo everyone wants a piece. LMAO

The clutch is just a stock clutch. They charged me $1,000 cheapest to fix it. I couldn't afford to upgrade to anything. It feels good. But I think they overfilled the fluid in there ifI screw up rather than smelling burnt clutch i smell the fluid and it's gross haha. Of course I can't tel you if i have a HP gain since it's just a stock clutch that went back in. And like I said I couldn't afford to upgrade the flywheel either.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SPeeDy3

ORIGINAL: virgin1

is there any hp gain? i dont kno jack squat bout clutches or flywheels..
A reduction in rotating mass @ the crankshaft is almost always good for hp, but you lose some driveability in the form of bottom end torque. If the flywheel is too light, the car can feel jerky too so I wouldn't want a flywheel designed for drag racing. I'm looking for a 12-14lb replacement, not the 8.5 lber Findezia offers. It's a very nice flywheel mind you, just not practical for the street IMO.
A stage1 clutch is almost exactly like an OE, except they offer a higher spring rate/clamping force.In the case of the NA3, about 200lbs more clamping force. It may or may not feel a little heavier at the pedal, but engagement is assmooth as factory.Fewer losses through clutch engagement and/or slippage. Sometimes the disk is made of a higher % of Kevlar or ceramic (longer life/better grip) compound material than the OE too. But, since it's a harder, longer wearing material, it can also be harder on the PP and flywheel mating surfaces though.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM

yeah thought i'd show off those great camera skills i have again haha. not like i need any more pics but yeah.

Quick Reply: Renesis' Update Thread