Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Poor business model.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 11:22 AM
Default Poor business model.

I took a trip a few days ago and had to fly. I generally try to avoid flying. Going out, I went through Dallas/Fort Worth and things went pretty well like I expected. A fairly long layover so I ate at a TGI Friday's. The food was like any other and not too much more expensive.

Coming home, the original flight had been cancelled so I was diverted to a different route. I got into Atlanta airport about 7 or 8 local time. Most of the shops were closed. The few that were open, were fairly busy. I went into a BBQ place and figured to have a nice sit down meal. At least I think it was a BBQ place. No menus. The one server never came over and I couldn't get her attention. I don't remember the name, it had Juke Joint in the name.

One of the other customers said I had to read the QR code to see the menu. My old phone won't read those. Also, you have to order on a phone. My phone won't do that. In addition, they don't take cash. Credit or Debit cards only. Forget that, I left.

Every place that was open was the same way. Signs that said Credit or Debit only. I ended up buying a bottle of Sprite Zero and eating some Pop Tarts I carry for when my blood sugar crashes. Even then, the convenience store only took plastic. I have credit cards, I just rarely use them to avoid the numerous credit hacking that happens.

Where I worked in high school, the owner would not lose a sale on something like that. We had a crank to stick in the side to run it manually. Here I was with a pocket full of money that I was planning to spend and nobody wanted it.

Last edited by Grouch; 07-13-2022 at 11:23 AM. Reason: i kant spel wrth a durn.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:37 PM

growing old is going to be difficult for some if you don't stay up with technology and human interactions on how things have changed in the last 10 years. .

Old 07-13-2022, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
growing old is going to be difficult for some if you don't stay up with technology and human interactions on how things have changed in the last 10 years. .

Not really. I've seen this over the decades. Someone comes up with something new and all of sudden, it's the greatest thing and the wave of the future. At least the people using it with prejudicial bias think so. Just log onto MySpace and read the comments.

Old 07-13-2022, 05:38 PM

really that's where you learn or get your information is on "My Space"?

Old 07-13-2022, 07:48 PM

I understand your pain. I went through a similar endeavor just after 9-11 when traveling to San Francisco for a conference. Two days of every meal being canceled or replaced by snacks until the final meal when I was hoping to finally when an overly enthusiastic group leader announced "is everyone ready for sushi!". Let me off the bus.

I have not found a place where cash was not accepted or ordering by phone was required but I fear it is coming. I feel your pain my friend.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:39 AM

Poor business model ... QR code to see the menu ... have to order on a phone ... don't take cash ... Credit or Debit cards only.
Indeed.

I do cash. Some shops won't. Okay by me. They can do the other folks, if they truly don't want the business.

Some won't get it. And that's fine.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:01 PM

really that's where you learn or get your information is on "My Space"?

Myspace is the Facebook of the past. Facebook is more mercenary and manipulates it's members for profit. It sells your information and algorithms are designed to incite the weak willed and make them mad, thereby making them click on more links, which makes money.

The secret to a successful business is to make it easy for people to give you their money for your services. Make it difficult and what happens is what I did. I took my money elsewhere.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Grouch
Myspace is the Facebook of the past. Facebook is more mercenary and manipulates it's members for profit. It sells your information and algorithms are designed to incite the weak willed and make them mad, thereby making them click on more links, which makes money.

The secret to a successful business is to make it easy for people to give you their money for your services. Make it difficult and what happens is what I did. I took my money elsewhere.
Thats nice in theory but it is almost impossible these days. I have a Marketer as well an advertiser and they are constantly updating the ad and pay information to try and do exactly what you are saying. until or unless you personally have a business and offer product on the WWW than I understand that you do not understand how it works these days. Nothing personal Grouch.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:48 AM

Thats nice in theory but it is almost impossible these days. I have a Marketer as well an advertiser and they are constantly updating the ad and pay information to try and do exactly what you are saying. until or unless you personally have a business and offer product on the WWW than I understand that you do not understand how it works these days. Nothing personal Grouch.

Until I retired a year ago, I worked directly with sales. I know EXACTLY what it is like. One thing I miss about working was the daily digest of articles relating to different aspects of the company. I mainly was concerned with the sales and logistics of said sales. The two biggest concerns were supply shortages because of overseas suppliers and the trend towards on shore sourcing, as well as the push by electronic finance institutions to boost profits by encouraging electronic or plastic transactions. In short, they want to make more money at your expense. You just mentioned yourself they are pushing you.

Small shops are also under pressure by the same credit card companies. If you go into a small store to buy something for one dollar. The store only gets about 96 cents. The credit card company keeps 4%. Huge stores like Wally Wurld don't pay that fee as they churn so much business, the card company makes a huge profit from rolling charges that get carried over from month to month.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:01 AM

I have some inquiries if it’s not too much trouble, guide me about this. These inquiries are displayed underneath here:

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/off...ameters-49406/

Sitting tight for most appropriate response straightaway. I’m excessively confounded here.

Quick Reply: Poor business model.