Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

News: Cars on Death Row

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default News: Cars on Death Row

From the US News & World Report:

1) Saturn VUE/VUE Hybrid: Despite being a top seller for Saturn in recent years, the VUE may soon be no more -- if GM proceeds with the plan to kill the Saturn brand. But thanks to GM's platform-sharing program, the "smallish" midsize SUV will live on as the nearly identical Chevy Equinox.

2) Chrysler Sebring: Chrysler has formally announced that it's eliminating several models. While the Sebring didn't make the original cut list, lagging appeal makes it a likely candidate if the automaker decides to cut its line-up even further.

3) Hummer H2: If GM doesn't find a buyer for the Hummer brand, it will eliminate it -- meaning the H2 and its bretheren are on the chopping block.

4) Saturn Aura/Aura Hybrid: The Aura was Saturn's best-selling vehicle in the second half of 2008. But the brand is still in trouble -- GM has plans to eliminate it completely, which means the Aura goes with it.

5) Saturn Sky: The Sky may have stylish racy looks, but that won't save it from elimination if GM comes through on its promise to discontinue the Saturn brand. The Sky may live on in the Pontiac Solstice, its platform-mate -- but that's only if the Solstice survives Pontiac's own cutbacks.

6) Pontiac Torrent: GM is keeping the Pontiac brand, but it's eliminating all but four models -- and the Torrent isn't on the list to be saved. Still, the Torrent's heritage will live on in the nearly identical Chevy Equinox.

7) Lexus SC: Lexus has announced it will end the SC's run after 2009.
[NOTE: We originally reported that the cancellation of the SC would leave Lexus without any convertible vehicles, however, the company still plans to deliver a convertible version of its IS250 in 2009.]

8) Dodge Viper: Dodge hasn't officially said anything about a possible cancellation, but the Viper is in danger. Newer designs like the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and Nissan GT-R nearly equal its performance and offer far more livability. Also troubling is that Dodge has halted production of the Viper and has publicly tried to sell the design rights to other automakers and parts suppliers.

9) Honda S2000: According to sources inside Honda, 2009 will be the great-handling S2000's last year.

10) Isuzu Ascender: Isuzu announced last year that it would close its doors in the United States in 2009. That means the Ascender, one of the few models the automaker still sells, saw production end in 2008. Keep your eyes peeled for 2008 Ascenders left on dealer lots -- you could get one at a significant discount.

11) Mercury Grand Marquis: With parent company Ford's financial troubles, it's rumored that the Grand Marquis won't come back after 2009 -- and in fact, the entire Mercury brand may not make it to 2010.

12) Lincoln Town Car: Ford's pillow-soft, limo-like Town Car has had a long run, but it's rumored that it won't be back after 2009.

13) Pontiac G6: GM is shrinking the Pontiac brand, and though it's keeping the G8 and G5 models, the G6 is on its way out the door after 2009.

14) Chrysler Pacifica: Chrysler has officially eliminated the Pacifica, which means that it's kaput after the 2008 models leave showrooms. It also means you can probably get a good deal on one of those 2008 models.

15) Chrysler PT Cruiser: Unique looks a great utility couldn't save this 1940s-style retro wagon. Chrysler says the last PT Cruiser will roll off assembly lines this summer.

16) Hummer H3: GM is still looking for a buyer, but it will probably end up eliminating the Hummer brand -- which means the H3, Hummer's least expensive SUV, will be eliminated with it.

17) Saab 9-7X: There could be a buyer for ailing Saab, but keeping up sales numbers on the 9-7X is a tough challenge given Saab's limited dealership reach. The 9-7X is also generally seen as an underperformer in the competitive luxury midsize SUV category, so it could get the axe no matter what.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:12 PM
VB

Yep, mostly domestics cutting back. I've been saying this was coming for the last two years...

Hummer's going (THANK YOU FINALLY), Saturn's going (unfortunate. Saturn was supposed to be a pioneer grand for GM, but they were bullied by the old brands), Pontiac will go soon (they have nothing unique anymore anyway. Good riddance), Saab's getting sold (haven't sold well since GM bought them anyway).

Mercury has been stagnant for years, with no unique models. If Ford is for the normal consumer and Lincoln is for the luxury buyer, then why does Mercury even exist?

Chrysler...well, everyone knows how I feel about them.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:14 PM

mercury used to represent the "in-between" crowd. better than ford, but below lincoln. ford has come so far up in price and tried to come up so far in quality that the mercury is stuck on a smaller line in between.

chrysler, to me, represents the modern oldsmobile. it has just been phased out in the same way that olds was.

i think that the american car market was better years ago because they did one thing and did it well. now, they are constantly trying to wear so many hats that they can't manage any one of them well.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

I know there are those that will disagree, but I think Chrysler cars are some of the ugliest being made here today. The 300, Dodge Magnum, Pacifico, Sebring, even the new Challenger do nothing for my soul... and I LOVED and wanted an original Challenger back in the day. 'Still do really.
The PT Cruiser was overall a good idea and they sold millions of them. I even liked and looked at them when they first came out, but they are underpowered, overpriced and long in the tooth these days.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Many of these domestic brands were originally created to give the impression of more 'choice' in the marketplace. Quite a few of the 'different' brand names were actually the exact same cars with the only difference being the labels.

Now that there is such a variety of manufacturers not only selling, but manufacturing cars in the US, there is no longer any need for this illusory plethora of different brand names.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:58 PM
VB

Originally Posted by virgin1

I know there are those that will disagree, but I think Chrysler cars are some of the ugliest being made here today. The 300, Dodge Magnum, Pacifico, Sebring, even the new Challenger do nothing for my soul... and I LOVED and wanted an original Challenger back in the day. 'Still do really.
The PT Cruiser was overall a good idea and they sold millions of them. I even liked and looked at them when they first came out, but they are underpowered, overpriced and long in the tooth these days.

My girlfriend used to drive a PT Cruiser. I tried it once...it handles like more of a truck than even the Malibu does.

Chrysler = ugly unreliable, to this day.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 AM

im not surprised to see any of these heading for the chopping block even the s2k, its a great car but the ones who really want it cant afford one.

PT cruiser= PT loser , so far the list here is pretty accurate, what i mean to say is givin the recent output from these manufactures as far as there concepts of a "good idea" i was sure that they had replaced there staff with blind, stubborn and stupid employees who refuse to listen to there consumers.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:19 PM

Personally I like the Chrysler 300 (especially the "C" versions), and kinda like the Charger. As for the Challenger, I used to own a 1970 Challenger and I really like the new Challenger R/T with the Hemi and a 6-Speed manual. Unfortunately even in these tough economic times, Dodge dealers are still marking the Challenger up over MSRP (or at best holding the line on MSRP).

Old 05-26-2009, 01:56 PM

Virgin1 - I agree with you 100% Chryslers are ugly (and whats up with those squeaky breaks on ALL of them???) I personally never liked the PT Cruiser either (PT Looser)

No wonder the domestics are having so much trouble - their mechanics suck. My dad has always driven domestics, and has had tons of engine and transmission trouble. I have ONLY driven imports - and my (2 VW's ('86 Golf, '07 GTI), 2 Datsuns ('72 240z, 79 280zx), 1 Honda ('96 Civic), and 1 Mazda('08 5) ) have never EVER had any drive-train problems ever!) Why cant the domestics figure out how to build a good transmission? After 100+ years, you would think they would figure it out.

On that "cut list" the only car I even like is the S2000 - never driven one, but I quite like the look of the little Honda. (Good riddance Hummer!)

Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 PM

Im upset with two cars on that lost.. The Dodge Viper and the Honda S2000. those are both amazing cars and it will be sad to see them go