Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

let my "friend" borrow my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Default let my "friend" borrow my car

<rant>

my friend who lives in Alaska (we went to high school together) came down to Bangor, (my hometown) to visit his girlfriend and paid me $1200 to borrow my car for 2 weeks (a rental would have cost him like, $2200 apparently). So i figured that with that money i could get my bike back and start riding and pay some bills.

he's now had the car for a week and a half. I've been borrowing my uncle's 95 Talon because my VW doesn't run at the moment.

in the past week and a half he's managed to: get arrested because said girlfriend is like, 15 apparently but he got out of that once the parents figured out their daughter was with him and they dropped charges, he (and another friend of mine) ripped the cigarette lighter out of the dashboard trying to get the stock cd player out (what the f**k they thought that was going to accomplish is beyond me), blew my subs out somehow (probably the amp), and peel all the chrome off the rear passenger side wheel.

as if that wasn't enough, i got a voicemail from him this morning saying that "something happened to my car and he may need the title to get it back." now i can't get ahold of him to find out what. i imagine the car is impounded in NYC. i've never had a car impounded, i don't know what it'll take to get it back.

one thing is for sure, i'm not doing this kid any more favors... and that's if i manage to keep myself from beating him within an inch of his life whenever i get the car back (i'm supposed to get it saturday).

</rant>

Old 08-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Default RE: let my "friend" borrow my car

Sounds like he needs a good beating.

You may want to get a lawyer to get your car back faster. I wouldn't depend on him to get it back for you. I definitely wouldn't give this guy your title for ANY reason, it just makes it easier for him to sell your car out from under you.

What an a$$hole

Old 08-24-2006, 11:02 PM

yeah, if i were you i'd show him whats up

Old 08-24-2006, 11:50 PM

Murphy's Law "No good deed goes unpunished".

Old 08-25-2006, 12:02 AM

found out that it was a DUI. after i told him like, a million times that if he drinks and drives with my car that i'm going to kill him.

i talked to my parents about it and my dad wanted to declare it stolen as well, but they've already looked at all that information and to just report it stolen now would probably sack us with insurance fraud or something like that, which is more **** we don't need.

the kid is supposed to let me know where the car is tonight when he gets my key and his cell phone and whatever else he had taken from him by the cops back at 11pm. tomorrow my mom and i will probably go to the city and get the car. i was kinda looking for an excuse to go to the city in the near future but this wasn't exactly my ideal reason.

we were on the phone and he was like "i probably just need a notorized note from your mom or something to get the car back" and i essentually said "f**k you, you're not getting the car back, you've already screwed it up enough in the week and a half you've had it. you're paying to get it out of heist and giving my key back and then i'm gone with the car."

i need to buy a gun.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:26 AM

I'd save the money for the gun for a lawyer....

I doubt he's going to pay you for any of the damages he caused to your car, I'd expect you'll have to take him to small claims court to get your money back.

To declare it stolen now would be lying and you could be charged with filing a false police report. Not a good idea.

Do yourself a favor and write this dude off and out of your life for good.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:46 AM

more updates on the situation:

the car was not, in fact, impounded, the police were holding onto it. he got the dui while moving the car between parking spots apparently. the car is back in their posession but his license is suspended in new york state so his father is going to bring it back to the poconos tomorrow.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:11 AM

timp, you've got the worst luck out of anyone I know!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:39 AM

Wow, that's some friend you've got. I don't think I could stop myself from beating the crap out of him. 'Cuz you know you're neve going to see a dime.
You might have to beat the crap out of his dad, too, if he doesn't offer to pay for EVERYTHING.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: AlyssaC

timp, you've got the worst luck out of anyone I know!
I was just going to say that... i've never seen so many things go wrong for one person in such a short period of time... I feel for you timp!

Quick Reply: let my "friend" borrow my car