Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

"Job Loss" - Anybody affected by this...yet

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yes and all these salary increases while the companies are "going through hard times," and especially, laying off thousands of workers and out-sourcing jobs. How can they justify that thinking? How can they sleep at night? How can they live with themselves?

I find it hard to support that kind of thinking too (if that's what it could be called?)

I've said it before and I'll say it again (almost every day,) common sense, and the teaching there of is a lost art and out-of-vogue in this country, replaced by self-central thinking and greed in general.

Last edited by virgin1; 02-12-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:01 PM

Look at it this way....Since Alan Mulally took the reigns of Ford Motor Company, his overall direction has reduced annual costs something on the order of 5 Billion/year. He came to Ford at a time when he had a very successful career at Boeing and quite frankly didn't need to move. He's doing a fantastic job on turning the company around and getting us competitive again.

I get it that his pay is an incredible amount of money, I'm pretty sure it's less than he was making at Boeing.

He's agreed to salary caps for companies that receive gov't loans BTW....also....Ford didn't ask for any money. GM and Chrysler did.

Again....what is happening with the auto industry are loans (to be paid back) as opposed to bailout money which apparently disappears into the wind in the financial sector.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
VB

Originally Posted by zoomzoom6chick
You would be surprised, I found out that Saturn's newer line (every vehicle) is the only one to win awards and be recognized for the new line. I have seen those damn S cars come in to the shop with 300k + miles. It's ridiculous, and they don't always run perfect, but they are still going. They do have a problem with burning oil, but other than that theres nothing really common that can't be avoided with regular maintenance. I am not the biggest fan of our new line, nor do I think that GM went the right way with making it "the red-headed step-child" as you put it. The customers who are loyal to the first line of Saturn's have stuck around, and it has brought in a new crowd...but the quality has gone down so much that the new crowd and old crowd are turning away. I see a lot of new Saturn's on the road, more than new Buicks...but maybe that's just Michigan, because I've never seen as many in Indiana or any other state that I've been in.
The only Saturns around here are crappy old Ions which by conventional logic should already have died.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

I was expecting you, Scott, to get stirred up about that (not that it was my goal to do so) and am aware of, and to their credit, that Ford was the only one of the Big 3 to not ask for bail out money.
But I was around and working for a Jeep dealer when Chrysler was bailed out in '86. When our signs changed from AMC/Jeep/Renault to Chrysler/Jeep in '87 AFTER we bailed out Chrysler. Yes I also know that Chrysler, under Lee Iaccoca, did pay the money back but they got rich and fat doing it too. And while selling some really crappy K-Cars. Ten different badges all the same car? (Sorry Patrick!!)

It is just hard to feel sorry for the CEO's, COO's, CFO's and Board of Directors of these companies begging for mercy when they have done little to help themselves... except of course to a large portion of the pie while it lasted. They just go on doing what they have always done, taking large salaries and bonuses (not unlike our own Congress) w/o having a clear vision for what is to come, and while their companies are already failing and outsourcing jobs. Reward for failure. Is that what we've come to in this country?

I have no love for our oil industry for the same reason. They've had years and years to come up with better plans, and better technology than to simply re-sell oil from foreign suppliers. They could have been working on technology to change the oil business into something new! I know while working for one such company some of the senior chemists were working on such technology but were told to stop because the company would not sell as much oil if the tech was developed. How short-sighted could they get!!??
I have little doubt that had they been allowed to continue their research then, many of us today would be driving alternatively fueled vehicles today. Hydrogen, electric, solar, propane, etc... And the oil companies (and by extension, auto manufacturer's) could have evolved into something else and STILL been making billions.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:34 PM

know what they put how much money in trying to save the big 3? and yet they are still going downhill. and getting worse and worse and worse. that helped them but for how long?. im thinking maybe a few months maybe a year or so. but soon its gonna get to the point where no matter what GM/Ford/Dalmer Chrysler are gonna go under and moreso then any other company. its just gonna happen and what can we do.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 AM
VB

When the first one goes under, my money is on Chrysler.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

+1. They've been on the edge longer than anyone.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:05 PM

i dunno im thinking GM on this one. GM is going farther and farther down.. chrysler has Mercedes too.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:44 PM

I don't think Chrysler has shares in Mercedes, James. Daimler, who has Freightliner, Western Star, Sterling. Also had stock in Chrysler. Till a couple of years ago. Sent Chrysler on their way. We have Mercedes Truck engines and such. I could be way off on the cars though. Speaking of which. Sorry to hear about your job loss and your window.
You could try working odd jobs with a job agency till you find something more to your liking. Doesen't pay much though.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 PM

yea but its better the no job at all

Quick Reply: "Job Loss" - Anybody affected by this...yet