Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Ford Recall on Fusion & Escape

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Banned
Exclamation Ford Recall on Fusion & Escape

Poor Quality leading to overheating & Engine Fires!
FORD has announced a recall of 89,153 vehicles equipped with 1.6-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engines over the possibility of overheating and, in some instances, fires starting in the engine compartment. The brand new 2013 Fusion accounts for 15,833 of the affected models, the other 73,320 being the 2013 Escape. This is the fourth time the recently launched Escape has been recalled, and this is the third time the recall has involved the 1.6-liter engine.
Ford states that the affected vehicles' instrument clusters may display warning notifications reading, "Engine Power Reduced to Lower Temps" or "Engine over temp, stop safely."
Ford is currently working on a repair procedure and will notify owners as soon as a fix is found. In the meantime, the automaker is urging owners to stop driving these affected vehicles and to contact a Ford dealer to arrange for alternate transportation at no charge. Owners in the United States may call 866.436.7332 for assistance with securing a different set of wheels (888.222.7814 in Canada).
Fusion and Escape models equipped with 2.5-liter naturally aspirated and 2.0-liter turbocharged engines are not affected by this recall. The Fusion Hybrid is also not affected.

I don't like how today's engine run so hot. In the old days a 180 degree thermostat was highest, now all newer engines are between 188 and 195. It's for emmissions!-----not for power! Years ago, i had a hypertech tuner and they recommended a 160 degree thermostat for max power but that is too cold for winter. I currently have a 180 degree thermostat in my Mazda6, i believe oe was 188 back in 2006.

Attached Thumbnails Ford Recall on Fusion & Escape-car-explosion.jpg   Ford Recall on Fusion & Escape-homersimpsondoh.jpg   Ford Recall on Fusion & Escape-sparkstoohigh.jpg  

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 11-30-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Thermostats
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Banned

FORD announced Dec 11 that it has determined the problem and has worked up a fix for the engine fires that have resulted in recalls for 2013 Ford Escape and Fusion models equipped with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine. Ford says the fires are being caused by an issue with the cooling system software that fails to properly manage engine temperatures during "unique overheating conditions," which are allowing the engines to get hot enough to start a fire while running. This is the third explanation for the engine fires with faulty fuel lines being the culprit back in July and leaking coolant in September – both of these could potentially be caused by extreme engine overheating.

To prevent the overheating, Ford will be updating the software for the cooling system, but until then, the automaker says that owners of affected vehicles should not drive their vehicles and contact the dealer to arrange alternative transportation. According to Automotive News, this means that 73,320 owners are still in rental cars costing Ford up to $55 per day. None of the other engines used in these vehicles are involved in the recall.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 AM

The 1.6L Ecoboost is a brand new engine. It just shows how difficult it is to get everything right the first time.
That's why I prefer the last generation of a model. My wife drives a Contour of the last production year and I drive a Windstar of the last production years and the boys use the Protege of the last production year.

Ford did the right thing and I am convinced they will fix the issue. I am sure insurance will carry some of Ford's expense.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanprotege
The 1.6L Ecoboost is a brand new engine. It just shows how difficult it is to get everything right the first time.
That's why I prefer the last generation of a model.
I 100% agree with new models and major changes, give it a year or few to give them a chance to get the quirks worked out.
It's almost like they should have hired me to do proper test driving!

Example: CX-5 Engine a bit small, Fiat 500 now going to Turbo as well

Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 PM

Fusion looks so good.

1st year intros can be done better and have been done better, not acceptable fires.