Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

fix-it ticket for modified exhaust/noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:57 AM
Default fix-it ticket for modified exhaust/noise

Hello. i was recently cited for a modified exhaust/noise as a fix-it. my problem is i dont have my original exhaust and the two resonators that i took off to install my flowmaster super 40 onto my 2007 Mazda 3. i need some advice on what to do. the officer did not pull out a decibel meter. its too expensive to but the original muffler and the two resonators from the dealership: like 2,000 dollars. i live in orange county califronia. what should i do in order to get it fixed???? can i just pay a fine and not fix it?!!! is that possible because i'd be willing to do so. any ideas????o and for the record i was also cited for tinted windows and modified turn signals and aftermarket neons which were not turned on officer turned them on and said it was illegal to have even though i heard it was legal as long as i had a switch and not driving while they were on. thank you.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: fix-it ticket for modified exhaust/noise

OUCH!!! I know Calilaws arestrict, but it sounds like you had a bored, rookie cop on your hands there. Was he a local? Someone that's liable to spot you again?
The first thing I'd do is get on Cali's DOT website and do some research. It might take some time to find what you are looking for so be patient. Find out what the limits are and if you've exceeded them. Most Flow Master's do tend to be a little raucous in my experience. I'm sure a muffler shop could suggest a goodalternative and swap it out for you... @ a price, of course.
How did you modify the turn signals, chromed bulbs? Blue/white bulbs?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:56 AM

i have white turn signal bulbs. im new to this forum or any forum so ill b posting pics later on. i was in newport beach somewhere i rarely visit. yah he might have been new. the window tint isnt fix it any more its a fine did you know? my friend said to go to a muffler shop and get a silencer for the flowmaster he said they should have it that it bolts on and the resonator slides inside. i will ask if they can swap to a more quieter one. that way i can be on my way to the police station to getit signed off. but im opened to other ideas if anyone has any!!! thnx

Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, white turns are illegal everywhere these days, unless on a classic car that came w/them originally.
Did the dealer install the tint for you, like mine did? If so, take it back to them they should fix it for you.
I don't know enough about Flow Master's but if a silencer is available for it that might just do the trick for you.