Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Improperly Worn Seatbelt Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Default Improperly Worn Seatbelt Ticket

I was pulled over the other day because a cop said I wasnt wearing my seatbelt, but if he were to open his eyes a little more he would notice that clearly I was. Instead of over the shoulder I had it under my armpit beecause the belt irrataes my neck anyway $250 CDN later here I am wondering if I should go fight it, my friend go the same ticket and he wasnt wearing his belt at all and the prices were the same If you guys have any tips or pointers on what I should say excatly I would greatly appreciate it.

HTA 186-4 every person who is a passenger in a motor vehicle while it is being driven on a highway in which a seat belt assembly is provided for seating positions occupied by the passenger shall wear the complete seat belt assembly in a properly adjusted and securely fastened manner; but where a seat belt assembly consists of a separate pelvic and a torso restraint the person may wear the pelvic restraint only.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Default RE: Improperly Worn Seatbelt Ticket

I've had these tickets before and just paid it. I would say to adjust the seat belt properly at the pillar so it does not rub your neck.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: bkey71

I've had these tickets before and just paid it. I would say to adjust the seat belt properly at the pillar so it does not rub your neck.
It was adjusted as low as it would get

Old 11-26-2006, 11:14 AM

man what bull!! I cant stand wearing seat bealts I hardly ever do except when racing. I say it sould be your choice if you wear it or not. you pay for the car you pay taxes for the roads and ems and that silly cop that pulled you over.so all this money going out for that stuff .how can they make it a law for use to wear

Old 11-26-2006, 12:41 PM

interesting! when i was in school i had a seatbelt safety class. wearing the seatbelt under the arm was pointed out to be very dangerous. they instructed that if the shoulder-belt portion of the seatbelt is bothersome to put it behind your back. effectively making a lap belt. i wonder if that's legal? anyways. imo the spirit of the law was obeyed and that counts for something.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:19 PM

Wearing your seatbelt as you did is unsafe. Wearing a seatbelt as a lap belt only is also a very bad idea. The reason it is against the law to not wear your belt has to do with legal cases brought up by people involved in accidents that were injured mainly because they weren't properly restrained.

If you don't wear your belt, you are just asking to kiss the windshield and I guarantee you will (at some point) get injured in an accident that you would otherwise walk away from unharmed.

And when these people get put into a hospital with closed head injuries (with no insurance) you and I foot the bill to pay for it in increased insurance premiums......

Old 11-26-2006, 10:59 PM

Another thing is that if the airbag deploys without the seatbelt holding you in, you stand to be more injured. All the safety systems are meant to work together, not just the ones you want to pick and choose. If you hate wearing seat belts, buy a car that was made before seat belts were installed...about 1959 and older. That is the only exception to the law, you must use what was factory installed, even if only a lap belt. If the car didn't come with seat belts, then you don't have to use them or retrofit them.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:32 PM

just buy one those seat belt covers i have one and its very comfortable

Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

i bought seatbelt covers because i also dont like how mine feel...

Old 12-07-2006, 03:00 PM

You know cops should just be satisfied that we just wear them...I know as a kid I wore my seat beat through the lap, like lap belt...I would try to fight it honestly...I work for the state of Delware and I have learned that is always good to try to fight then just pay the fine...You never know you may plead your case and get away with it...The belt covrs are nice but, they can shift back and fourth..But, I don't know your state rules, so therefore, I would try to fight it if you can...

Quick Reply: Improperly Worn Seatbelt Ticket