Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Don't buy a vehicle without carfax!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Exclamation Don't buy a vehicle without carfax!

A friend of mine bought a 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo from a local dealer in his area(Massachusetts) and he decided to take a road trip to see me in Florida. On his way here he noticed the rear end had a whining noise and the A/C wasn't cooling the way it should be, when he arrived we took it to the local dealer to get repaired. He bought an extended warranty that covered him bumper to bumper. The dealer called a couple of hours later to tell him the repairs wheren't covered due to the undocumented vehicle cluster change. Apparently the vehicle was bought new in the U.S. and taken to Canada and the vehicle cluster was changed to read kilometers once it was brought back to the U.S. the original cluster was put back in and the vehicle was sold at auction and a dealer bought it and sold it to my friend. I guess the transmission has a computer and keeps track of the mileage and when the dealer checked the vehicle the cluster mileage didn't match up with it. So the dealer called the warranty company and told them of the stituation and the warranty company cancelled the contract. My friend ended up paying for the repairs out of pocket just to get his vehicle back and he figured once he got back to Massachusetts he would get everything straightened out. When he got back home he went to see the dealer and they ran a check on the vehicle and found out that it was serviced in Canada and the cluster was changed there legally but there was no documentation from Jeep in the computer system. In the ended the Jeep dealer ended up taking the vehicle back and giving my friend a newer model with less miles for the same price he paid for the first vehicle.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:04 PM

Just because you have a Car Fax, don't think it has everything, just the stuff that is reported by dealerships and insurance companies.
A friend of mine bought a vehicle from a Dealer here that had a Car Fax guaranty on it. Took it home and brought it back to the dealer for the warranty inspection 3 days later. Car Fax said it was clean, no wrecks and no major components change or modified.
He looked underneath it will it was on the lift and saw the frame in front of the front axle had been bent and repaired but did not show up on Car Fax. Then looking closer found the Radiator was aftermarket as well as the hood, right fender, radiator support and the motor had been changed.
BTW, it was a ex rental vehicle that was owed by a Small rental company that came up as a private owner and not as a company.
Needless to say he got his money back.