New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

pop up lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Default pop up lights

Can anyone please help me?
Just bought a 1992 MX5 Eunos Roadster (Japanese import). Like an idiot, I forgot to check to make sure that the headlights worked when I bought it. Sad to say, got it home turned the stalk and pressed the "flash to pass" button - nothing happened. Nothing moves. The headlights are on but face downwards and the sidelights also work but the pop ups just don't pop up! I've looked on many sites and the suggestion is that its a relay that is the problem. However just heard from somewhere else that this car does not have a relay for the pop ups. I'm a girl, confused and in need of help!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Default RE: pop up lights

There is a headlight retractor motor relay in the group of relays in left rear corner of engine compartment. Do the headlights pop up normally when the retractor button on dash is pushed? This button is located next to the hazard light button and above the two pivoting center dash vents.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 AM

Hi babyhuey

Nothing happens when I press the button in the middle of the dash. Nothing happens when I use the stalk either. The lights actually work cos I've raised them manually and the bubls do work. Nothing makes them lift up or down though.
Any ideas
Thanks
Mandy

Old 04-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Hi Mandy.

Since the retractor button does not open the headlight dooreither then would not be suspecting the relay as the switch bypasses the relay and directly powers up the motors. Is the 30 amp "retractor" fuse in the under hood fuse/relay box ok. This is a smaller blade type fuse and not the large main fuses that you will see in the box. It should be the only 30 amp blade type fuse in this box. Not sure if there are major differences between Japanese imports and US market but will take a pic of the fuse box and fuse in question. If fuse is ok then make sure the ground circuit is ok. This ground point in US market is in left rear corner of engine compartment. Will have pic of it also.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:14 AM

Hi again!

Looked at the fuse box last night, there was a 20A fuse in the retractor bit so I swapped it for a 30A but still nothing happened [&o]. Someone has mentioned to me that it could be the headlamp motor relay - what do you think? Do you think it could actually be the motors themselves? It sounds to me like the Jap imports are pretty much the same as the US market cars. A pic of the where the ground point in could be useful though.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:32 AM

base from experience, if you already replaced the fuse in the retractor bit, it should work somehow, did the motor ever turn? If that is the situation unless there's a wiring problem (maybe loose connection or something) it's the motor itself. try replacing the motor, cause its the motorthat really make the lights pop-up.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:05 PM

I would not be suspecting the relay so much as the retractor switch actually completely bypasses the relay. On the 91 that I had in shop for an allternator, I unplugged the relay to just confirm that the switch on the dash would still work and it raised the headlight doors but would not close them when switch was pushed again. Guess it could be possible to have both a bad relay and a bad switch but that is reaching a bit. The only real way to know what is going on is to start making a few checks with a 12 volt test light. Is this something that you would want to try? If so I could tell you what wires at the relay should light the test light under different conditions to determine where the problem is. Anything else is just guessing at this point.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/87487BA0256F44A58C48948EA80F48E6.jpg[/IMG]
Here is a picture of the ground point connection with the red X on it below the master cylinder.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/596B2B47C8D540BC80BD1B59BD9A5BBA.jpg[/IMG]
This is just from a different angle but also included a picture of the retractor relay in the upper right corner also with the red X.