New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Parts Hoarder w/a '95 MX-3 RS MTX

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 12:36 PM
Default Parts Hoarder w/a '95 MX-3 RS MTX

Hi. New member here in central Maryland. Apparently, I'm a certifiably insane parts hoarder.

My Story: 1995 Arctic White MX-3 RS MTX w/130K has been sitting in my driveway for 11 years since most of the exhaust sys. needed replacing. 1600cc DOHC - same motor as 1st gen Miata - derived from the '89 Mazda turbo'd GTX so it's NA but was designed/built to also be turbo charged. Has oil jets under each cylinder and hardened engine internals. Stock 105hp w/curb wt. 2100 lbs. My daily driver from 1999 when I bought it used. I replaced the car in 2011 with a Honda but kept the MX-3 and my wife has been bugging me BIG time to get rid of it. I've resisted because I loved the car when it ran, had done a few mods and over the years I accumulated a ton of mod and stock parts, intending to use the MX-3 as a project car for rebuild/restoration. Every time Rockauto emailed with wholesaler parts closeouts I accumulated stock replacement stuff that never went into the car. Same with mods parts I bought on deep discounts because so few MX-3's were sold I was afraid mod parts would not be available later on.

Then my career got super busy and the car sat.... and sat... I ended up putting a cover on it, don't have a garage here. It has the same "fresh" synth oil and coolant I put in 11 years ago when I parked it. Have kept the tires inflated to 40 psi. Now I'm semi-retired so have time to work on it and after taking recent inventory of my parts stash (it is ridiculous), I'm thinking to keep the MX-3 and going with my original plan for it to be a project car. My wife is a little PO'd but the driveway is my domain... right? ;-) You might agree with me or think I'm nuts. If interested, check out the lists below and lemme know whatcha think. Pros and Cons from my own POV...

Pros:
  • I now have time to work on the car and intimately know my way around it
  • Have the full Mazda MX-3 hard copy shop manual including elec. diagrams - around 1700 pages of repair info.
  • Have the tools for most of the work (e.g. Spring compressor, ring compressor, etc.)
  • Engine internal parts still available since this same motor was also in the 1st gen Miata
  • Son-in-Law has AC system evacuation vacuum setup I can borrow
  • Car body seems in solid shape, paint still looks good and no visible body rust
  • Since I'm OBD1, no MD State requirement for emissions testing. I could delete the CAT when rebuilding the exhaust sys.
  • No MD State inspection required since car is 20+ yrs. old and qualifies for "historic" tags.
  • Car body/lines still look great as they did in the '90's
  • Have not seen an MX-3 on the road in at least 8 yrs. and this one would be a head turner
Cons:
  • I have no garage so am limited in that regard.
  • There may be body rust on the underside of the car. TBD
  • No clue what shape the brake lines are in currently. Could be bad...
  • While I have many parts, more will be needed (eg, exhaust, AC compressor, various hard-to-find rubber and plastic body trim pieces)
  • Fuel sys will require cleaning, including dropping the gas tank for cleaning and possibly a new fuel pump
  • Would likely take Spring/Summer of 2022 and most of 2023 to complete the work
  • Wrenching on this car will involve may skinned knuckles and serious cursing of the Mazda car Gods

Mods that were installed prior to 2011:
  • B&M STS
  • K&N CAI
  • Front and rear upper strut bars
  • Rear lower suspension tie bar (From MX-3 GS)
  • SS floor brace
  • Mazda color keyed mud guards
  • Konig Helium 15" wheels (super light wt. @11lbs) w/205/55 tires
  • Black Altezza tail lights
  • Clear side marker lights all around
  • Clear front parking lights
My Parts Stash (yeah, it's embarrassing) Never Installed
  • Full set new Tokico struts
  • Full set new Eibach lowering springs (1"+ drop)
  • Full set new KYB strut mounts and bellows
  • New polyurethane sway bar end links and SB-frame mounting bushings
  • New rear hubs and front wheel bearings
  • Full set new SS braided brake lines
  • New front disc rotors, Brembo, slotted and drilled
  • New front disc brake calipers and pads
  • New rear drum brake shoes
  • New emergency brake cable assembly
  • New brake master cylinder
  • Steering rack from a MX-3 GS w/25K miles - direct fit install - has tighter turning radius than what came on the RS model MX-3
  • Reman alternator
  • Reman starter motor
  • Reman distributor
  • Amsoil auxiliary oil hi filtration system
  • Multi-point ground wire kit
  • Full set of new engine hoses and drive belts
  • Full set new OBX CNC under drive pulleys
  • Complete engine gasket rebuild kit
  • New OBX CNC camshaft pulleys
  • New timing belt kit
  • Pair of barely used Stage 2 grind camshafts
  • Set of solid (wafer type) valve lifters (perfect cond.-harvested from a 1800cc Protege)
  • Full set of fuel injectors (perfect cond.-harvested from a 1800cc Protege)
  • New Fidanza aluminum flywheel and Stage 2 clutch
  • New clutch slave cylinder
  • Chromed valve cover
  • New SS header (for Ford Probe 2.0 engine - nearly a direct fit on the MX-3 -just needs a mounting hole drilled in the header) Will probably never use this as it severely drops back pressure and is really bigger than ideal for the MX-3.
  • New stock exhaust down pipe w/bolts and springs
  • New O2 sensor (OBD1, only uses a single engine bay sensor)
  • Full set of new motor mounts
  • New AC receiver/dryer
  • New Sparco style racing seats w/sliders (No bases... yet)
  • New CNC drilled full set of pedals w/"MX-3" logo
  • New interior A-pillar trim for mounting tach + two gauges
  • New dashboard single din 3-gauge cluster for oil pressure, oil temperature, electrical
  • New carbon fiber emergency brake handle
  • New SS roof brace/bar (Mounts to rear upper seatbelt bolts) to stiffen the chassis