Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

93 MX3 GS ATX to MTX questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Default 93 MX3 GS ATX to MTX questions

I'm in the middle of a swap, with 93 GS, ATX to MTX. Manual transmission is reportedly from a 93 as well. At this point the tranny is on the engine and under the hood. The only tricky thing has been working around the different starter location, everything else has mounted fine, to this point...

1. The ATX had studs for the fuel filter mount bracket; the MTX does not...I could see eliminating the need of the bracket and the U-shaped "fuel pipe" (which connects to a U-shaped hose in an S-curve...Why?) and hanging the filter with less hose, less restriction. Would this work?
Manuals show the studs, but my MTX doesn't have them. Did some not have it?

2. The CV Joints don't fit. I understood, and at least AutoZone's computer agrees, that only the Driver side axle had to be replaced. But the Passenger side slips in, but has play, so it cannot 'lock' into place. I also stuck in the Driver side, to discover the same situation. So I guess I have to replace both, as the MTX seems to use a thicker diameter axle. I guess this also means the axle is thicker where it slides into the wheel hub assemblies. Do the hubs have to be changed as well?

3. Backup Light Switch. I'm supposing this needs be connected to something... I figure it's in the transmission wiring, which means I'll have to splice it. But, I already removed the ATX's ECU (which my 92 RS parts car doesn't have), and am not willing to guess at this. Will I need to reinstall the ATX ECU, or can the ATX engine ECU take care of it, with the proper wiring?

4. Clutch Switch. Another part to figure out... How could I wire this in? or is it just for the safety of the car being in neutral when started? I habitually push down the clutch when starting the car and wiggle the stifter, so can I just leave this unplugged as there's nothing to plug it into? (this could be rather convenient when working on the car)

If anyone has answers or advice, it'd be greatly appreciated...
Thanks!