New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Online manual and warning message

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Default Online manual and warning message

I live in Thailand, and have just bought a 2015 CX5. 2.2 Diesel AWD
2 questions:

Trouble is, the only manual in the car is in Thai, and my reading ability is not enough for tech issues.
I tried to download an English language manual, but they mostly are from USA, and differ in specs from the 2015 sold here.
The manuals I downloaded for instance don't mention Diesel, only Petrol, and I have the top model 2.2 diesel.
Also, there electronic display systems are different.
Can anyone point me to a more fitting manual?

Second more specific question, istop and warning lights.On my way home from the shop, I noticed an amber coloured message flashing saying istop, simlultaneously with a red triangle, which indicates a serious issue.
But my Thai manual didnt explain what the combination of these two means, and the USA manual I had downloaded didn't mention istop at all. I considered stopping and asking for help, but Mazda dealers are not that frequent here, and I thought it safer to get home and find my answer online. After several hours trying to read the manuals I could find, I am no further. Anyone here who can help me?Apart from that, I love my new car. I have the last ten years here been driving a Honda Jazz, and for visits to Laos, where the roads are a bit dodgy for a tiny Jazz, a Mitsu Strada 4x4, manual, 2002, and a bit hard and bouncy. Compared to those, the CX5 is super luxury....

Old 03-11-2018, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

The Red triangle & a flashing i-stop light is more than likely Code P0A8D, which is a low voltage code. Basically its telling you the battery's State of Charge (SOC) is below the threshold.

The battery needs a full & proper recharge, this can take 12 hrs for the modern Q85 stop/start batteries.

Once the battery is fully charged, you will need to get it tested with a battery tester that is designed for the high capacity stop/start batteries.

Theses batteries are not known for their longevity. You may be up for a new battery, & they are not cheap.

What is the build date for your CX-5? ??Month?? 2015

I should be able to get a PDF copy of the owners manual for a 2015 CX-5 from Australia. This will cover the 2.0 petrol, 2.5 petrol & 2.2 diesel, both FWD & AWD and include i-stop.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
The Red triangle & a flashing i-stop light is more than likely Code P0A8D, which is a low voltage code. Basically its telling you the battery's State of Charge (SOC) is below the threshold.

Thank you for that, it confirmed what I found out overnight by reading this and a few more boards for many hours. I took the car for a two day trip on Saturday morning, initially the warning lights stayed off, but came back after about 20 km.300km on Saturday, I drove with warning lights. after my Sat night reading, on Sunday I switched off the i-stop function, the red triangle didnt come on, even after driving seven hours for about 500 km, from time to time pushing it hard. When I turned the car back on on Monday morning, without stopping the i-stop function, istop immediately began flashing amber, and the red triangle lit up instantly. Although not a 12 hr charge, I thought that the long drive should have at least done some charging. So I decided to consult Mazda.

Bit of background:

I selected the CX5 after quite a bit of cross brand research. I wanted a comfortable mid size SUV. Thailand has funny tax laws, locally assembled cars are much cheaper.

I previously owned a Honda Jazz, bought new ten years ago, now 250,000 on the clock, never a problem, plus a 2002 (!) Mitsu Strada Pick up, for travelling in Laos, where my wife and I often go for work, dreadful roads. The Strada is getting a bit old, as I am, too and manual becoming a chore.
So I decided a new SUV, automatic, and more comfortable then an old Strada.
Near all Thai built SUV are derived from a pickup, same suspension and same minimal comfort, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Isuzu and Ford, too harsh for our liking. Nissan has the Xtrail, said to be more comfortable, but I was put off by a lot of user feedback. Leaves Honda, the CRV would have been fine, but CVT, which I tried and hated.

Two options produced in Malaysia, the Mazda CX5 and the Subaru Forester. I had a 2003 Forester, few years ago in Timor Leste, where the roads are even worse then Laos, and I loved it. But the newer cheaper ones had not really a lot of power, so that meant the more expensive Turbo, which, like all Foresters now is also CVT....
No RAV 4 in NZ, only the Fortuner, based on Toyota Hilux pickup.
Very few Euro SUVs available here and very expensive, no Korean, also expensive because of duty.

So I looked at the CX5, and liked what I read. But trouble is, only five versions in Thailand, 3 versions with a 2.0 l Petrol, the only one of that with AWD cost nearly US $ 50K new, and is reported to be a bit low on power. Two diesel versions, only the top one the turbo Diesel and only that one AWD. US $ 58K
Ouch!
so I started looking second hand. Usually in Thailand, secondhand cars keep their value pretty well, partly because of low labour cost. No snow and ice, so no salt on roads, little rust.

Then I found this one, regd in September 2016, but sold from new to first and only owner in December 2015, so two years and three months old.
Priced at just below half of todays new price, extraordinary cheap!
I was fully aware that there maybe a reason for that low price, so asked to see the service book. "No have service book"
Oops! So I said test drive? ( a bit useless, dealer in the middle of a big city, little chance of taking it to the country side. "Can only test on the grounds of this company (30 plus a U-turn), No insurance for test drive"
OK, can I take it to Mazda for check?
No, but you can bring a mechanic here to test.
I thought, maybe can bring a Mazda mechanic plus his computer, plug it in and get history and current status. So I noted the number plate, Chassis and engine number, and went to Mazda.
Now, in my country (New Zealand) I would have walked out and not returned. But in Thailand, things work differently. I had not yet read a Mazda board like this, so was unaware of the CX5 issues, i-stop, DVF in exhaust, fuel in carter and camshaft issues, only read positive things about the CX 5.

And, the price savings on new were huge. A 2 yr old CX5 Turbo diesel, should have been discounted from new price by maybe 20 or 25% (Average write down in this country on new price. If this was about $15000 less then expected market price, I had in the worst scenario about another 15000 to play with to remedy whatever is wrong. And as I said, repairs are cheap here, even by the dealer. Last year, a Mitsubishi shop rebuilt my Strada engine after it cooked, new head, new pistons, virtually a complete reconditioning, for US 2000.-

So I went to Mazda, enquired.
They can lend me mechanic to go and check, but next week, and no laptop to plug in, had only one unit that could not leave the shop. They checked the number plate, and informed me sale date was 2 years three months ago, may have still 9 months factory warranty left. They could not check service history on network, each dealer hd here own, not nationally networked.
So, I left, planning o book a date for mechanic for next week by phone.

Walking down the steps from the service office, I noticed someone getting out of a CX5 parked next to my Honda Jazz. same colour as the one we looked at. I glanced at the numberplate, same car. I followed the guy inside, waited for a while, then phoned the sales yard, talked to the sales woman.
"Oh, when you looked at the dipstick, I realised this car had just arrived, so I sent it for service. And the office office found the service book, ready to take to service..."
YES, sure!

So I talked to the Mazda Service manager, who was reluctant to let me interfere, since the car was not brought in by me, but buy someone else. But he confirmed it was booked in for routine service, oil change etc, and in the process they would attach the computer and diagnose what it needed. He added : "we can look, but we cannot guarantee anything. Much better if you buy a new car from us!" .

I phoned the shop, thy promise they would call me in a few days when the car was back. (it was a Saturday afternoon then)

I went back on Tuesday. The saleswoman was very clear and direct, Mazda had serviced
and completely checked the car, everything was in order, nothing wrong, next service 10,000 km.
So I looked at the service book. 10,000 km service missed, first service at 20,000, next at 33,000, last service last week at 48,000.
so the remainder of the 9 months factory warranty was null and void. The previous owner must have been so sturpid, to ignore service and lose his warranty!

But with my experience of my Honda Jazz, 250 K km with no major repairs, this car only 48K, and just over 2 years old, 6000 km and two months sales shop warranty, I decided to take the plunge. Signed and paid deposit. Pick up in three days after I paid the rest and the car was valeted and waxed.

The day I picked it up, last friday at 4.30 PM, took it shopping in town, then drove home 20 km. On my way home, the i-stop light turned amber and started flickering, then the red triangle lit up permanently. The service shop closed at 5.00.
I continued home, and went online, found three Mazda boards including this one. My only Manual was in Thai, the ones I downloaded were not entirely aligned with this model...

So Saturday and Sunday, I decided to take it on a trip, after finding the two warning lights were probably only relating to battery.
When on Sunday morning, I found I could turn off the istop entirely, I felt better. Same morning, I checked my oil, level about four mm above the top mark, way below teh X. After driving 500 km yesterday, I checked oil again this morning, exactly the same level, as far as I could see. Felt better.

This afternoon, I drove back the Mazda dealer, and asked them if any problems came up in last weeks check.
A slightly shy young lady read from her computer "Sorry, yes, have problem, but only one problem, battery."
How much to replace?
"5800 baht, about US$ 180.-"
Half of what I read on the boards, genuine battery as prescribed.
Are you sure, no other problems?
Yes, SURE!

Made an appointment to install new battery in a few days.

The car was a dream to drive in the weekend.
I love the torque of the turbo diesel. Many two lane country roads, with trucks to overtake in short window of opportunity, the long torque range is fabulous.

"Theses batteries are not known for their longevity. You may be up for a new battery, & they are not cheap."
Here they are!

"What is the build date for your CX-5? ??Month?? 2015"
Cant tell you the months, documents are at registry office for transfer and province transfer, I get new plates for this province. will get back to you when I know.

"I should be able to get a PDF copy of the owners manual for a 2015 CX-5 from Australia. This will cover the 2.0 petrol, 2.5 petrol & 2.2 diesel, both FWD & AWD and include i-stop.
"

Thank you so much! It is great to her from someone english speaking on this issue, here the discussion is very limited, I use my iPad to look up words, learning a bit, now know what camshaft is in Thai...

Very happy to have found this board!

One final question, when regen starts, which it must have some time on my long trip, how do I know it starts and finishes?