New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Noob from East Coast Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Default Noob from East Coast Canada

Good day!

Just happened to come across this site and figured that I would hang out and get to know a few Mazda owners.

With my Tribute recently paid off it will soon be my secondary vehicle. This means let the heavy modding begin. I have already installed a complete Magnaflow exhaust and an OBX ram horn header. Along with a set of level 2 CompCams. With those mods this 5speed 2.0L Tribute is pretty fun to drive in any and all weather conditions. Really fun in the snow when you push that 4WD button.

That being said I hope to lower this thing and never have it in the dirt again.

I hope to learn a bit more stuff about these vehicles from the knowledgeable people on this site.

Cheers!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:05 PM

hi mate

Old 07-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned

welcome to the site, fellow canuck!
Nice avatar and sig.
2.0 ltr is small for that!
Put a V8 in that!

Old 07-04-2013, 03:45 PM

Thanks... seems to be quite a few canucks around the forum. Few Europeans as well. I'm used to the Honda scene that is 98% Americans.

Actually the 2.0L 5 speed surprised the shyte out of me. And it really seemed to have woken up with some simple modifications.

However, now that you mention V8's I just so happen to have a few in storage that I could start making room for.... how does 8.2L sound? I have a Small block and big block GM and a Big block Mopar waiting to be shoe horned into something.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GhostTribute
Actually the 2.0L 5 speed surprised the shyte out of me. And it really seemed to have woken up with some simple modifications.

However, now that you mention V8's I just so happen to have a few in storage that I could start making room for.... how does 8.2L sound? I have a Small block and big block GM and a Big block Mopar waiting to be shoe horned into something.
I see in your description you put comp cams in it? How did that work? ECU modifications? What did you do to re-program ECU?

If they can put an LS engine in a Miata, do it!

If you need parts in Canada, I do web work for: Welcome to Marken Performance & Restoration
Check out News Section as it has latest parts mostly for Chevy LS, Hemi, Ford although we are a dealer for many suppliers such as AEM, Holley, Edelbrock, MSD. We don't put all our suppliers on the web though but we have some that you could search with.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
I see in your description you put comp cams in it? How did that work? ECU modifications? What did you do to re-program ECU?
Still running stock ECU...she idles like a cam'd small block Chev...lol

Adjusted the throttle body set screw to raise the idle..other wise it would stall out once the engine got up to temperature.

Installed an innovate wide band O2 and I was able to monitor the AFRs for a while. The stock ECU handles the fuel pretty well once it get's over 2k rpm. Below that it is a bit on the rich side as the overlap is too much for the ECU and MAP.

I have since deleted the EGR, A/C and EVAP system.... I think she is in need of a tune now. Running a bit rich and I have to reset the ECU fuel trims on a weekly basis. So I have my ITB setup ready to go with a Honda K series COP setup and tuning via a MegaSquirt 3.

If they can put an LS engine in a Miata, do it!
I have seen a few of those builds..... Not sure that a tribute is a chassis worthy of a big block but I could be persuaded to drop the SBC in there...lol

If you need parts in Canada, I do web work for: Welcome to Marken Performance & Restoration
Check out News Section as it has latest parts mostly for Chevy LS, Hemi, Ford although we are a dealer for many suppliers such as AEM, Holley, Edelbrock, MSD. We don't put all our suppliers on the web though but we have some that you could search with.
Thanks for the link. I'll keep you in mind and check it out. I prefer to support/order from Canadian companies when I can.

Last edited by GhostTribute; 07-04-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Banned
Old 07-04-2013, 05:19 PM

I looked into the AEM EMS but decided to go with the MS3. I have already purchased and assembled it.

Are your guys down at Marken Performance able to tune using TunerStudio MS3? I am currently planning on a road trip out west with a stop down in Wellandport to visit family. I will be street tuning this MS3 before and during the trip. I could make a detour to Kitchener for a dyno pull or two if the opportunity arose.

Last edited by GhostTribute; 07-04-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Going to try and get these installed this weekend and start tuning next week.

2001 GSX-R1000/1300 Throttle bodies mounted to an SVT lower intake manifold.

Ended up using 2" rubber couplers vs the stock SVT couplers. I needed a bit more wall thickness and adjustable (cut length) runners to mount my ITB's

I decided to forgo the open throttles in lieu of a close air box and CAI style setup.

Here is my air box design... not much design to it. I am using the stock GSX-R air box. This is it with velocity stacks installed.

Side view of the modified 3" port that I added to incorporate the CAI that I have now.

View from the front of the engine bay

I am actually going to try and run this setup on the stock fuel injectors and MAF sensor with the stock ECU. If it doesn't work I will start the COP and MegaSquirt EMS tuning.

THis is not going to be any sort of show car or high Hp build. These are parts I had lying around from anther build that I have ongoing. I decided that this engine seems to respond well to mods and I'm going to run with what I got. hte MS3 was purchased for the other build, but if this one needs it I can buy another one if this one fits this build.

Last edited by GhostTribute; 07-04-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM

Well I am going to forgo the ITB and COP installation in lieu of a 65mm BBK throttle body for now. I need this thing to be somewhat economical for the long commute that I have ahead of me. The ITB's and COP conversion will have to wait until the fall.

Quick Reply: Noob from East Coast Canada