New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 05:26 AM
Default new member

hi i own a 87 non turbo rx-7 i just put in a new ac system in my car but im wondering will i need new parts for the ac once i get a turbo put in?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4426/719FA382C48041DBB28D43AF91A0283E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Default RE: new member

hi and welcome to the forum, no you should not need parts for your ac when you get your turbo, also how did you get your pic to look like that?

Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 PM

oh i used this photoshop thing i have on my comp. and thanks for the info

Old 05-22-2006, 05:48 PM

Not the turbo charger and the air conditioning system are completely different. however you will want a way to cool the turbo somehow via intercooler weather you choose top mount, vmount or front mount.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:11 PM

so thats how you did that interesting, i wanna get photoshop, vmount is new to me what exactly is that?

Old 05-23-2006, 09:56 PM

It is when you mount the intercooler at an angle with the radiator horizontally to make more of a < symbol but they say it's a V. I'll show you a pic. but the radiator is on the bottom and has cooling fans under it to move the air down, then the intercooler is on top and you put a reverse scoop on the hood to draw the air through the intercooler and up. It may just be an Rx-7 thing but I'm sure it's done for more models that have a rear wheel drive layout (so engine is vertical rather across the front for the frotn wheels)

Old 05-24-2006, 01:44 PM

that interesting, what are the benifits to this setup? Im not gonna do it cuz when i put in my turbo ill have it where it takes little time to unhook it when i go to the emissions test.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:19 PM

that is pretty neat. never heard of it. but sounds good. and as tracker said. any benefits??? does the scoop have to be reversed???

Old 05-24-2006, 08:23 PM

Yes, the air flow to the radiator or intercooler isn't blocked by the other unit. (whichever you put first) also there is less piping with a Vmount than a fron mount so there is more response and less lagg due to the side of the int. being closer to the block than an up and down verticle int. being close to the ground and far from the turbo and intake. And yes you would want a reverse scoop or at least a cowl induction to vent air away from the top. If you have the air flow down the hot air comming out of the bottom of the int. would enter the radiator and not do much cooling. that's the point of the entering air to split in 2 directions, up and down and around the block. It's very effecient and functional, you can also run a larger radiator or intercooler without worrying about overlapping.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:43 PM

the pics you took look like car was local, was it? And thanks for the info for the vmount, it also looks like it would help the car look more like sleeper.

Quick Reply: new member