New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to this Mazda forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 09:01 PM
Default New to this Mazda forum

Greetings,

I love Mazdas. Was super active years ago on mazdaspeedforum with my 2010 speed 3, absolutely loved that car and community!

Now I live off grid and off road in BFE, WA. I have a 1992 Mazda B2600i. It was rolled some time ago and has a need of come alongs and heat for frame treatment. She will never be highway capable, but perfect for a farm truck.

She was sitting on 205/70/r15s, I’ve fixed it to 235/75/r15 mud tread. To compensate for the negative camber on the passenger side (due to the roll) I took a click on the torsion spline and will likely do another.

Both front calipers were seized. I rebuilt them both and then promptly sheared off the bleeder valve on the passenger caliper. So, I will save that as a spare and bought a new caliper.

She had a significant coolant leak coming from under the intake manifold. I can put my finger on one of the leaks and can feel wrecked hose. I can’t find a diagram of which lines are under there. Any suggestions?

I’m planning to pull the intake manifold and replace the gaskets and hoses below. I’d love to know what size hose to buy so I can have it on hand when I get “down” to the leak. One of the leaks looks like it is coming from the intake manifold gaskets.

Well, back to the grind. Happy to be here!

Cheers,

Spoon

Old 07-09-2022, 09:05 AM

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like quite a project. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:45 PM
Default Intake manifold

Man what a chore! Every time I think it is ready to come out I find another bolt.

Throttle body was easy. Plenum was reasonably simple. Lower manifold… iewwe… a bolt broke off. I’ll have to attempt an extract. If not, I see a new one in my future. Grrr

I’m excited to see the various hoses under the manifold. Hopefully I can find the leak. It certainly makes getting the oil filter off easier.

A few pictures.

Cheers,

Spoon

2010 Speed 3. The vehicle I miss the most.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:24 AM

Welcome to the forum

Last edited by helendenizer; 07-15-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:12 PM
Default Leak fixed

Hey all,

A quick update. Got the intake manifold off. The leak was a freeze plug. Ordered a replacement before knowing what size I needed. The one I received was too big. So, I sealed the plug with JB Weld, I love that stuff.

3 coats and a gallon of water and no more leak. Woot! Spent a few days scraping off old gasket and polishing the head and various connecting points.

I tried to weld washers and a bolt to the broken stud. My welding skills leave a bunch to be desired. I wound up pocking the surface and gave up the welding aspect of bolt removal. I drilled the bolt and fitted an easy-out… it broke… So, I ground off the bolt.

I reinstalled the bits and she started right up. Ran a tad rough for a while and blew oily smoke after the first run. She’s settled now. I’ll likely add some rtv around the plenum where the bolt is missing to prevent any vacuum leaks.

A friend has a hydraulic puller for me. I will use it on the bent frame. Along with oxy-acetylene for malleability. She’s been a good project. It’s great to have a 4wd for the farm!

Cheers,

Spoon