New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Mazda BT 50 complete loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 01:12 AM
Default Mazda BT 50 complete loss of power

Hi all, recently my vehicle (2012 BT50, Hi Power, 2.2l, 6 speed, 4x2) all of a sudden started to cometely loose power after some distance had been driven. I drive mostly in town, two weeks ago with no excessive load after about 80km it lost power on a slight uphill, then it would regain power again and after a while looses it again. No alarms or warnings are displayed. After a stop and switch off it lasted about 10km and started again. At some stage after loosing all power the vehicle begins to 'jerk' like when in to high a gear for an incline or trying to pull away in 2nd gear with to low refs. Diagnostics had been done now twice by a private mechanic and the agents and absolutely nothing has been revealed. The Air intake and temp sencor had been cleaned and refitted, the vehicle tested and all fine, then I towed caravan, after about 120km it started all over again. 300km one direction and 400km return where at some stages we went uphill in 1st gear. The accelerator been flat to the floor with no power. Then from time to time it will go normal for a few km, then same story of loosing power and some times violant jerking. The latter would stop after a few gear changes but the engine power would remain non existent. Pls assist in giving direction in where to look for the cause: airflow sencor giving wrong data to the computer, gate valve on the turbo input. Can a turbo work intermittent without any warnings on the display?Any other sencor that can cause this? Why would the car run 100% short distances in town but on a longer trip with more load perhaps something expands or heats up etc?

Old 06-29-2022, 08:28 PM
Default Any resolution??

We are experiencing a similar issue with our 2015 BT-50. There seems to be a clunk then power loss and even with the accelerator to the floor there is no power.
did you find out the cause? Would love to know a jumping off point to start looking to fix the issue. Really can risk loss of power on the highway with fully loaded road trains behind you.

thanks.

Originally Posted by Bothaa7
Hi all, recently my vehicle (2012 BT50, Hi Power, 2.2l, 6 speed, 4x2) all of a sudden started to cometely loose power after some distance had been driven. I drive mostly in town, two weeks ago with no excessive load after about 80km it lost power on a slight uphill, then it would regain power again and after a while looses it again. No alarms or warnings are displayed. After a stop and switch off it lasted about 10km and started again. At some stage after loosing all power the vehicle begins to 'jerk' like when in to high a gear for an incline or trying to pull away in 2nd gear with to low refs. Diagnostics had been done now twice by a private mechanic and the agents and absolutely nothing has been revealed. The Air intake and temp sencor had been cleaned and refitted, the vehicle tested and all fine, then I towed caravan, after about 120km it started all over again. 300km one direction and 400km return where at some stages we went uphill in 1st gear. The accelerator been flat to the floor with no power. Then from time to time it will go normal for a few km, then same story of loosing power and some times violant jerking. The latter would stop after a few gear changes but the engine power would remain non existent. Pls assist in giving direction in where to look for the cause: airflow sencor giving wrong data to the computer, gate valve on the turbo input. Can a turbo work intermittent without any warnings on the display?Any other sencor that can cause this? Why would the car run 100% short distances in town but on a longer trip with more load perhaps something expands or heats up etc?