New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Mazda 3 2.0 165 hp k&n problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:12 AM
Default Mazda 3 2.0 165 hp k&n problem

Hi
I'm new here...
A few days ago i got the k&n inbox filter to my 2014 mazda 3 2.0L & I've noticed a drop in power especially in torque.
Doe's anyone have an idea for the reason of this.
When i took the k&n filter out it was much hotter then the original filter when i took it out after a run with the car.
maybe it takes time for the car to adjust itself to the new filter & air flow??maybe i should have disconnected the car's battery for half-hour before replacing the filter???
Pleas advice & many thanks
Tzah

Last edited by Zoomazda; 03-26-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:28 PM

Did you just replace the element or do the whole kit that replaces the air box?

Two things, K&N makes a great product. The filter is to help air flow under Wide Open Throttle. The filter does require a bit of extra maintenance, and if it's not done, you end up hurting the motor more than help.

Second, which is a common error that I see many times over, the term Cold Air Intake seems to get lost in the installation of some of these kits. I've seen more often than I care to, modified air intakes that leave the filter under the hood in the engine bay. All that filter does is suck in very hot air. Pre heated air into the combustion chamber, takes away from the energy released when the fuel is ignited. You lose the expansion benefits of the cold air and the fuel is already staring to vaporize as it enters.

All air boxes are fed thru some type of tube outside of the engine bay to keep the motor from sucking up the hot air. Personally, if you haven't modified the motor any, the stock air filter does a very adequate job.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Sparky202
Did you just replace the element or do the whole kit that replaces the air box?

Two things, K&N makes a great product. The filter is to help air flow under Wide Open Throttle. The filter does require a bit of extra maintenance, and if it's not done, you end up hurting the motor more than help.

Thanks, i just replaced the in-box original filter with k&n inbox filter nothing more,the original box is still there sucking cold air with it's original special hos

Second, which is a common error that I see many times over, the term Cold Air Intake seems to get lost in the installation of some of these kits. I've seen more often than I care to, modified air intakes that leave the filter under the hood in the engine bay. All that filter does is suck in very hot air. Pre heated air into the combustion chamber, takes away from the energy released when the fuel is ignited. You lose the expansion benefits of the cold air and the fuel is already staring to vaporize as it enters.

All air boxes are fed thru some type of tube outside of the engine bay to keep the motor from sucking up the hot air. Personally, if you haven't modified the motor any, the stock air filter does a very adequate job.
Thanks, i just replaced the in-box original filter with k&n inbox filter nothing more,the original box is still there sucking cold air with it's original parts,so nothing is changed only the square filter itself.
It felt like loosing torque.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:14 PM

Shouldn't make a difference if you just replaced the element. Element shouldn't be hot either. Something else come loose?

Old 03-26-2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky202
Shouldn't make a difference if you just replaced the element. Element shouldn't be hot either. Something else come loose?
Hi
No, nothing was loose i checked it.
I heard that because the very high 1:14 ratio maybe mazda made the filter very high flow so in that case it wouldn't matter.
Or maybe now with more air flow i need higher octan??As more oxygen is in the chamber??
By the way the k&n inbox filter is covered with metal both sides to keep the paper inside safe & that I'm sure is causing it to get hotter then the original filter.
I'm only guessing all this but don't know for sure.
Thanks.

Last edited by Zoomazda; 03-27-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:55 AM

Please understand the K&N doesn't let any more air into the combustion chamber compared to the OEM filter; at any given power requirement there is ALWAYS virtually the same amount of air (and by extension fuel) metered into the engine. Said another way, if say, your engine needs to produce 20 hp to keep your car moving along at say a steady 100 kph on the highway, then regardless of whether you have the factory air intake, a K&N, or no intake at all, there will still be the same amount of air entering the combustion chambers to produce that same 20 hp.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Please understand the K&N doesn't let any more air into the combustion chamber compared to the OEM filter; at any given power requirement there is ALWAYS virtually the same amount of air (and by extension fuel) metered into the engine. Said another way, if say, your engine needs to produce 20 hp to keep your car moving along at say a steady 100 kph on the highway, then regardless of whether you have the factory air intake, a K&N, or no intake at all, there will still be the same amount of air entering the combustion chambers to produce that same 20 hp.
Thanks alot
I wonder if there's any superchip for my specific engine??? I looked for it online buy couldn't find something interesting.
Thanks

Old 03-27-2016, 08:11 AM

There is nothing you can do to change a measureable increase in the power of your engine short of a very-very expensive turbocharger or supercharger application.

If you really want a faster car, sell your car and buy one designed from the factory to be faster.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
There is nothing you can do to change a measureable increase in the power of your engine short of a very-very expensive turbocharger or supercharger application.

If you really want a faster car, sell your car and buy one designed from the factory to be faster.
Thanks alot..actually you're right although I've seen a car just like mine with 185 hp after ECU reflash or programing with much better 0-60 times
Thanks

Old 03-27-2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zoomazda
Thanks alot..actually you're right although I've seen a car just like mine with 185 hp after ECU reflash or programing with much better 0-60 times
Thanks
I rather doubt you'll find a legit 185 out of a 2.0 liter Mazda motor. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I don't believe it.

Quick Reply: Mazda 3 2.0 165 hp k&n problem