New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hi, new here from MO.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 PM
epw
Default Hi, new here from MO.

Hi, I'm new here and pleased to meet all you Mazda Enthoosies! I have a '95 Protege that's been sitting around for 5 years and I'm trying to get it going again to offset high fuel costs. epw

Old 03-31-2012, 10:58 PM

what's wrong with it?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Oooo... A now 17-18 yr old car that's been sitting for 5 years in Missouri, and through Missouri winters and summers?

Before you even consider driving this car on public roads, may I strongly suggest to you that all the brake lines and fuel lines be replaced, no ifs, ands or buts about it. There's probably a ton of varnish built up in there anyway, and the brake fluid is surly compromised which causes brake lines to rust and rubber parts to break down from the inside out.
Rebuild/replace the entire brake system before considering using this car as a DD. Calipers are an easy and cheap rebuild. Brake cylinders are not that expensive, or could be rebuilt for even less money. And don't forget new hardware kits... also cheap insurance.
Pull the fuel tank, dump whatever is in there and clean it out completely. You might even consider "lining" it as you might when rebuilding a classic car.

You could easily be driving along one day and suddenly not have any brakes. Or worse, a fuel line could blow through and a gas fire engulf the entire car.

Vehicles that sit for a long period of time, especially when exposed to weather like yours, and assuming the car has not been kept in a heated garage here, should be gone through with a fine-toothed comb. I know, and have been there, my friend.

If the engine oil and filter have been in there this whole time, replace them... then replace them again after about 500 miles. Oil breaks down too and causes sludge to build up in the pan, as well as corrosion in the engines internals. You'll want to get rid of it ASAP.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 PM
epw

Thanks for the responses and lots of good advice! I'm currently looking for an exhaust header, I was hoping to find a performance header but might have to settle for a used one at the salvage yard.

Before starting the car, (and it did start on the first try) I replaced the battery, all filters and fluids, flushed radiator, flushed auto-trans, oil and filter, new brake fluid, cleaned and inspected fuel system and lines (swabed out throttle body), cleaned brake pads, rotors, cleaned and inspected brake lines (some surface rust, but no sign of pin hole leaks).
Exhaust system all appears in good condition (some surface rust but no pits or holes)

The "check engine light" read bad O2 sensor. Replace both but the cel keeps coming back. Then discovered crack in exhaust manofold header is setting it off.

The fuel gauge doesn't work so I will take your advice on dropping the tank, cleaning it and while I'm at it replace the fuel gauge sending unit.

This car might not be worth fixing up but hey I'm already in it up to my ***, so I can't turn back now. LOL

Last edited by epw; 04-02-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: error
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by epw
This car might not be worth fixing up but hey I'm already in it up to my ***, so I can't turn back now. LOL
Oh, I wasn't trying to suggest you give up on it. Just that it could be a lot of work to get it going and make it safe again. Since it's already going you've gotten through the first big hurdle.

Having already done so much work to the car, you seem to have a good handle on the situation. But I have seen many that might just think they could get right back in it and drive the car after such a long hiatus.

Best of luck to you!!