New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello Mazda world!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Default Hello Mazda world!

Hello Mazda forum users! My name is Pedro, i am originally from Portugal, but working and living in Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates. I am going to buy a car here where i live, it has got to be a Japanese car, and i am totally focused into the Mazdas and their reliability!
Today i saw a very nice second hand specimen in an local classifieds website, witch says it is a Mazda 626 2.0 LX from year 2002, 4 cilinders, 16 valve, petrol.
I saw the pictures, and it looks like a 323 model! I called the owner, and he states that it is a 626 2.0 from 2002, but i got my doubts... I post the only 2 pictures that are available in the car Ad, so hopefully, someone can recognize this model and version, and explain what is what!
If i keep this car, i will for sure give it a good look and some few mods, that i need and wish to receive good advice from this nice forum! Tank you very much in advance!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 PM

My first reaction was: this is a "Protege".

To be sure get the VIN number. With it you can find out what it truly is.

Free VIN number decoder for Mazda cars

In the US the 323 is called "Protege"
here is a picture of a 626:

And here is one of the protege. The protege has no chrome trim in the grille.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 AM

Tank you so much for your reply! I went today to see the car and, i was enthusiastic about it, as it has a really good acceleration and driving. It has been only with first owner since new, and looked like very well taken care of! 130k km on it, and interiors look still good. Only issue i noticed is that the gearbox (manual) is very, very loose. Hopefully, it will not be too expensive to repair it! I think i will buy the car... Do you think 7500eur/10100usd is a good price? Tanks again

Old 07-21-2014, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like a Japan spec 626 to me.

Chassis with "GF" in it will be a 626. Chassis with "BJ" in it will be a 323/protege

JM0GF, JMZGF, GF8P, etc

Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by pedrommlucas
Tank you so much for your reply! I went today to see the car and, i was enthusiastic about it, as it has a really good acceleration and driving. It has been only with first owner since new, and looked like very well taken care of! 130k km on it, and interiors look still good. Only issue i noticed is that the gearbox (manual) is very, very loose. Hopefully, it will not be too expensive to repair it! I think i will buy the car... Do you think 7500eur/10100usd is a good price? Tanks again
I like that it has a manual transmission. The loose shifter may be caused by worn plastic bushings in the shift linkage.
I cannot make a judgement on the price. You are in a different market than I am, you can see and drive the car and I don't.
It may be customary in your location to haggle for the price. If so you should assume that he will come down from the asking price. Haggling has never been my strength....

Good luck!