New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

hello all

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Default hello all

hello, new here from louisville ky. i will be a member here as long as i keep the 87 b2000 i bought, but if i cant figure out this problem im having i may not have it much longer lol. Here is the problem... the truck sat for 2 years and only needed a main fuse to get started. now 150 miles later it starts and revs fine but when i try to drive it the truck stalls and dies. motor idles rough unless i adjust idle screw to high rpms. i tried replacing the distributor cap and rotor button, spark plugs and wires, and fuel filter. Im guessing its a carb problem and have already ordered a weber carb and adapter kit. really just looking for some confirmation here on my diagnosis. all suggestions welcome.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 AM

This is a 5spd 2wd truck btw

Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

There are so many possiblilties when a vehicle sits that long.
It could be bad fuel in the tanks, or rust that has been drawn up into the fuel system from sitting.
It could be a clogged or bad EGR valve.
It could also be a bad or clogged catalytic converter.
In any case, before replacing the carburetor, I would be absolutely be sure any old fuel and dirt or rust is completely purged from the fuel system. Remove and thoroughly clean the fuel tank and any related parts. Clean the lines running from the tank to the engine compartment.
Remember too that most places these days only offer E10 gasoline (ethonal.) E10 will find any rust or dirt in the system, loosen and stir it up allowing it to be picked up by the fuel filter and pump. E10 is also hard on certain plastic parts and rubber you may have in the system. You may want to inspect and/or those parts as well.
Failure to do this could turn your new, $300+ carburetor into junk in no time.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Converter is already gone but I will be sure to check all else before the carb gets here. That new carb eliminates egr I'm not gonnna have a problem here am i?