New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Greatings from a new Speed3 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Default Greatings from a new Speed3 Owner

Hey,

I'm Allen, I live in Oregon. I drive anything I can get my hands on, it's just something I enjoy doing. I needed a car that was quick, fun to drive and wouldn't hit me hard in the pocket book. I still need money to finish my projects, but I need a commuter car that I can have fun driving as well.

So after much research and test drives, the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 was the winner. I'm impressed with power, attitude and handling. I couldn't beat the price of the car for all I got.

I plan on doing light mods: Cold air intake, full exhaust and a BOV. I've already tinted the windows. I'm probably going to get some light weight wheels as well to improve feel and acceleration. But I mostly want to keep it an every day driver. I have a Supra if I want to play with the Vettes.

Look forward to learning all I can, asking questions and maybe some day I can help answer some as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard, Allen!!
Pics?
If you have "projects" you probably know what you need to know already.
If you are looking to save money for other things, a CAI, and to a lesser extent, the exhaust is liable to be a waste of it ($$$.) They can be expensive for what little increase in power you might gain.

If its sound you want, may I suggest a Magnaflow or Flow Master type universal muffler cut into the OE exhaust? It would be a lot cheaper. Stay away from the eBay fart cans. You seem knowledgeable enough to know that already though.

And I am beginning to believe that CAI's are one of the biggest scams out there. $200-$500 for 4-HP (no improvement in MPG) in an RPM range most people don't even use in day to day driving.

Lightweight wheels and tires will help the handling for sure. I LOVE my Kosei's. The OE wheels weigh in at what... like 23lbs? Its too bad because imo, they are one of the best looking wheels Mazda has ever used. They look a lot like the RX8 R3 wheels.

Last edited by virgin1; 02-07-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Default Thank you for the warm welcome

For the intake, I was just thinking of buying a K&N drop in stock replacement filter. I like the fact that I can just clean it, and drop it back in, and in my experience, I get good gains and save money.

The exhaust you hit the nail on the head. Possibly a down pipe, then just a Magnaflow muffler. They sound great, are less restrictive than most stock units and they last forever. And they look more refigned than a "fart can".

Anyway, pictures are on the way, thank you again for the warm welcome, and I look forward to learning all I can!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:06 AM

Hey, Virgin, you referred to the RX8 R3 wheels, would you know any where to get them. Ebay is a worthless cause.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

No, and its probably a lost cause in all unless you're willing to spend megbucks ($$$$$) at the dealer for them.
The R3 is a very limited edition of the RX8 and the only place you will find those specific wheels.
The new 2010 Speed3 has wheels that resemble the R3 wheels but they too will be limitedv until owners decide to change them for AM wheels.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:08 PM

True, i have thought about placing some Enkie G5 rims on the car, since my car is black, and staying in the 17 inch range for the budget wise.