New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Gas cap problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 03:05 PM
Default Gas cap problem

When I purchased my 2008 Mazda 3 it was brand new with only 60 miles on it. When it came to putting in my first tank of the gas, I couldn't remove the gas cap. I asked the attended to help he couldn't do it, made it home and my dad ended up breaking the whole handle off while the plug was still stuck. Had it towed to the dealership who said this happens some time with new cars. Is that true? I'm new to this site and the car is now 10 years old and has never had that happen again. Just curious if that was a fluke or can happen with new cars. Thank you.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:15 PM

I vaguely remember hearing a few similar stories; don't remember if they were here or on another Mazda related forum, or for that matter, on a forum for a different marque. Regardless, while rare, it is not unheard of.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Holcraw
When I purchased my 2008 Mazda 3 it was brand new with only 60 miles on it. When it came to putting in my first tank of the gas, I couldn't remove the gas cap. I asked the attended to help he couldn't do it, made it home and my dad ended up breaking the whole handle off while the plug was still stuck. Had it towed to the dealership who said this happens some time with new cars. Is that true? I'm new to this site and the car is now 10 years old and has never had that happen again. Just curious if that was a fluke or can happen with new cars. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum. This is one that I have never heard of but I am no expert. Beyond this initial problem with your Mazda, how has it held up over the decade? My first guess is that the Mazda has been trouble free for this to still be on your mind.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:04 PM

I have an 08 mazda 3 and the gas cap on mine broke probably within the first year or two. When I pull the lever to pop the cap it doesn't pop all the way out, it pops barely enough for me to get catch the edge of the lid enough to pull it open. I have been doing this for like 7 years now and it's become 2nd nature. At some point I think I gave up trying to figure out how to fix it and just got used to the new behavior. With a little investigation and probably a cheap part on rock auto I bet I could fix it. At this point I probably won't even bother.