New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Convince me to buy a CX5

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Default Convince me to buy a CX5

Greetings all!

My year-old Honda 2018 CRV with only 8900 miles was towed to a dealership yesterday after what I can only describe an electric seizure. Even if the dealer repairs it I'll always question its reliability. The failure was sudden and total. In short I am done with Honda.
So, I am looking for a replacement. I'd briefly looked at the CX5 last year so am fleetingly familiar with the platform. I'm here to listen to the people who have owned one for years and find out what charmed them and dismayed them. I want the ups and downs, tips and secrets, best trims, must-have options, etc. I want to feel good about the car. I want a car I can love a little not mistrust.

K

Thanks for letting me into your world.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:56 PM

Everything great with our 2018 CX-5 AWD. The only improvement could be softer seats with less bucket shape, but that will change from person to person. Also, if you want more power go with the turbo. If you want better MPG, go with the standard 2.5 liter with cyclinder de-activation. You'll love this car.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:28 PM

Wow that is some bad luck with your CRV. I hope Honda took care of you.

I do not yet own a CX-5, however, I anticipate buying one this summer for my wife. My primary vehicle is a 2015 Mazda 3, my 5th Mazda. I have been extremely impressed with Mazda. With 90,000 miles, I have done just the basic maintenance and a little brake work. The brake work was more the result of bad replacement pads than it was attributable to the Mazda itself. I am on my original tires which look brand new. I also have winter tires so the all season tires that came with the car have roughly 60,000 miles on them. It still drives and looks like it is brand new.

Study the different trim levels before you buy. They tend to shuffle what is in the trims each year so you can't assume that what is in one package one year is still in it for the next. I think we will end up with the Touring which seems to have most of what she needs for a good price. You have to get a high trim package to get the turbo, however, it is probably worth it if you need the power.

Mazdas are different than most other vehicles on the road. They tend to have a sportier drive which I prefer. They also tend to be a little smaller than the competition. I would not drive anything else. I find them to drive closer to a BMW than anything else available.

As for what to avoid, look at the red paint thread on the CX-5 Page. I am not sure if Mazda has fixed the problem for the 2019 model year, however, you may want to take that into consideration before you go for a red Mazda. Other than that, I recommend Mazda to anyone, especially anyone looking to enjoy the drive as much as getting to the destination.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:51 PM

Thanks, CPA.
I'm gravitating to the todo uring also. The packages all have one thing I want and four that I don't - suppose that's a coincidence? Nope.
About the only thing I want to add to the Touring is that Bose sound system.

I'll post updates

Old 04-23-2019, 05:52 PM

Thanks Dude! I did a test drive today and the seats are squeezy!
More to come.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:21 PM

I forgot to add how much I like the fake leather in my Touring Mazda 3. People that have been in the car 100 times didn’t know they weren’t real leather. One way to tell is that after 90,000 miles they look the same as they did when new - They don’t wear like real leather.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by rainskei
Thanks Dude! I did a test drive today and the seats are squeezy!
More to come.
Squezzy is exactly the word I was looking for the bucket seats. Well, at least the padding is good...

Old 04-27-2019, 11:08 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger. Drove home a Machine gray, Touring with the preferred package.
This is one great auto that feels right and drives with refinement. Love it.

Now to to spice it up. Interior mats, cargo mat, bumper guard, splash guards, front and back.

Too much? What’s your favorite ?

Old 04-28-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by rainskei
Well, I pulled the trigger. Drove home a Machine gray, Touring with the preferred package.
This is one great auto that feels right and drives with refinement. Love it.

Now to to spice it up. Interior mats, cargo mat, bumper guard, splash guards, front and back.

Too much? What’s your favorite ?
Big CONGRATS! You'll love it.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:47 AM

Congratulations. The Machine gray is a great choice.

Floor mats, in my opinion are a cheap way to keep it looking good. I use the rubber mats in the winter and have been known to buy new floor mats after a few years.