New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

can't get my 85 RX-7 started

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Default can't get my 85 RX-7 started

Hello to every one. I am new to the forum but have owned my 1985 RX-7 for about 5 years and really like my car. I am having a really hard time getting my car running one of our local mechanics witch is said to be one of the best in town can not figure it out either. The car has a 13-B roteryW/ elec. fuil injection. my problem started with a sudden loss of power the car would not go over 50 mph and then it would not go over 30 mph and so on until it would not even start. this took place over about a week. I thought it was a fuel problem so I replaced the fuel pump, pressure reg. pulsation damper, air filter, plugs, ect.. It is getting spark and fuel and I am pulling my hair out tring to figure this problem. If any one has any idea's please let me know. I will be eternally gratefull. Thank you.
Brian

Old 07-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Default RE: can't get my 85 RX-7 started

Have the engine compression tested. Mazda dealer's have special tester that read rpm and compression on all sides.
You can use the piston engine one, but have to remove the schraider valve. Remove both trailing spark plugs. Disable ign & fi by
disconnecting the white four wire connector by what looks like a distributor with flat cover. Connect to #one trailing plug hole, here
the difficult part, accurate reading of the gauge. Every time the needle jumps, is a reading of one side of the rotor. Look for even
pulses, the reading won't be very high. If zeros or you get one good reading & two zeros, you have internal failure.
The other possibly is your exhaust is plugged, catalytic smelt down. I hope it this and not the first.