New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Any Experience with Mazda Incentives

Old 01-18-2019, 10:33 PM
Default Any Experience with Mazda Incentives

I just purchased my first new car ever and first Mazda, a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring Hatchback. Excited to have a new car after 25 years of used cars. Fell in love with Mazda's drive and feel after renting one last year.

Anyway, the dealership where I bought the car bummed me out today. They gave me the Mazda Loyalty incentive as my ex has a Mazda CX-5, we are still close, and her name is on my mortgage and still in household. Her CX-5 is registered at her mother's house (mother is cosigner). So after bringing the ex to the dealership on the night I signed the contracts just in case, the dealership said they did not need any information and she left. Signed the contract and drove the car home. I get a call a few days after I signed the contracts and now the dealer wanted proof of the Mazda Loyalty (note: the dealer told me that loyalty applied to household, friends, and family in our initial negotiations). I sent in a copy of my ex's registration and our mortgage statement to show her association with the household. A day goes by and that is not enough. Now they want an extra $750 dollars or want us to do some gymnastics to register my ex's car to my address (don't know if that is possible since her mom is the cosigner and on the registration as well). I don't think we can change the registration and I'm frustrated by all of this. If the dealer would have told me this on site, then I could have walked away or made other choices. I talked to a lawyer and they said that the dealership could cancel the contract and take the car back. I have a feeling that they will because I got a great deal and they are not going to eat $750.

So I don't know what to do now. I'm not paying an extra $750 and feel like once you sign a contract, it's binding (the rebate language is nowhere in the contract). Any ideas on what to do? Anyone have a number to the corporate Mazda incentive processors where I could see if there are any options?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:25 PM

I'd stand firm; if they opt to cancel the contract and take the car back, I wouldn't let them do so until they've refunded any monies you put down on the car. If they do, then go somewhere else and buy another car.

My gut is, if you play hardball, they'll cave in sooner or later.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:09 AM

Milan,

Sound like you found one of the bad salespeople that give car salespeople a bad reputation. My understanding is that you would not qualify for the loyalty rebate since there is not another Mazda registered in the household. I would bet the salesperson knew this from the beginning. At a minimum, you gave them enough information that they should have investigated and gave you the correct information before the purchase. Hopefully you found a bad salesperson and not a bad dealership. (Check their BBB rating and reviews from other sources online.) If the dealership has a good reputation, assume they are honest and try to talk directly to the owner. Ask the owner to honor the commitment of their salesperson. I am disappointed that the lawyer said the dealership could cancel the contract and take the car back.

I would think they dealership would not want the car back. It lost more than $750.00 in value by being registered to a buyer, and therefore, now a used car. The damage to their reputation should be worth far more than $750.00 as well as you will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and post a few reviews sharing your experience.

I do not have a number for Mazda. You may be able to get a number for a regional manager by calling another dealership who would be more willing to share the information.

I hope that after you get past this problem, you can seperate the bad experience with this salesperson / dealership from the car itself and enjoy your Mazda for years to come. I have 84,000 miles on my 2015 Mazda 3 2.5 Touring and think it is the best car I have ever owned and better for my needs than any other car on the market.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.