New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

19" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 09:16 AM
Default 19" wheels

I have a 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve with 19" black painted Mazda stock alloy wheels. I am thinking of trading up to a CX5, also the GTR but the 2019. Would I be able to use the wheels? I own them and would like to take them with me if possible, getting conflicting information at the dealership. Sizes are: P225/45 R19 on my Mazda 6 and P225/55 R19 on the CX5

The CX5 would be my 5th Mazda. I purchased a loaded and gorgeous Jeep Liberty many years ago, it was one of those which had the CVT transmission issue. Within two weeks, it would shut down mid-driving. My local Mazda pulled a miracle and got me out of it, put me in a 3 HB. Mazda was never on my radar before that. Now I love them.

Jan 2017 I was hit head on by a drunk driver going about 45 mph. I was driving a Mazda 3 at the time, the car saved my life. She was driving a Ford Focus and hit/totaled out a jeep before hitting me, saving my life. I was hit so hard, my gear shift was totally knocked out of the housing, part of the engine coming in under the dash. Driver seat belt aperture was detached from the body of the car. I was seriously injured, my 9 year old daughter had a broken sternum, but we survived. Cage was totally buckled front to back, car took the brunt.

I'm more devoted to the Mazda now. Figured I might as well join the forum.

Finding it difficult to get the question of the wheels answered now though, super frustrating.

thanks

Old 08-28-2019, 09:06 PM

Good to hear you and your daughter made it through the accident and recovered.

The wheels will probably fit. The 55 versus 45 would likely be a significant difference in diameter of the tire impacting speedometer and odometer. There might also be an impact to performance.

There are calculators on the internet that should tell you the impact of different tire sizes.

i suspect you will not find anyone official to say the tires will be acceptable. There will be a change in performance and I doubt anyone will go out on a limb and say what would be an acceptable difference.

The next question is: can the wheels be used without the tires. I would assume the width of the wheels and lug nut pattern will match but worth confirming.

I have depended on Tire Rack for tire and wheel combinations. You may want to look at their website and perhaps even call them to ask their opinion.