Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

window tinting.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Default RE: window tinting.....

well the good old window tinting laws here in Pennsylvania suck *****... i don't even think it's worth it to tint now because the % are way too high.

front windows are 70%

rear passenger windows are 70%

and rear window is 70%

and no tinting is allowed on the upper strip of the windshield

this is sad, well i guess my money is being slammed into an exhaust if i even get that much money to play around with. i'm still contemplating taking the chance and getting 35% tints or maybe even to be a little safer, 50%. i would have to see a vehicle with 50% to come to a decision as to whether or not it would even look nice. might not be worth the money.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:50 PM

I know here in Ohio our law is 50%, but I have my windows done in 35%. Cops usually won't do anything about it unless they pull you over for something else. I did get pulled over once for window tint, but I had I believe 20% mirrored tint, which was almost impossible to see in on a sunny day due to reflection.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:23 PM

It should be just a fix-it ticket, so if you have any Police friends, they can sign the ticket as completed (even if you don't change your tint). I've been pulled over a couple of times for no reason other than tint. I love how it looks, but I don't like getting pulled over for BS, so I haven't tinted mine. In MI, nothing is allowed on the D/P front side windows, but you can go as dark as you want on the back window and rear side windows.

If tint is applied over a defroster (wire type) it will wrinkle up the tint over time. I've got a 99 Subaru that had a real nice tint job that in the last 2 years the rear tint has gone quite wavy.... The tint is one large piece on the rear window, but up until a little while ago, there were zero bubbles visible.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 PM

EVERYONE gets this window tinting stuff backward. I've had 3 of my vehicles tinted. I asked a police officer (officer George Hummel of South Whitehall Twp.) about the tint laws in PA 4 months ago. The law is...if the car is 98 or NEWER, you ARE NOT PERMITTED to tint ANY of your windows. What comes from FACTORY is what is legal. If it's older than 98, you're permitted to have the back 3 windows tinted as dark as you want. Drivers side, passengers side, and windshield must remain with factory tint.

silverstreak, the place you got your window tint done at is bull****ting you. They do not cut out each piece individually between your rear defroster lines. The tint can safely be placed over the top of the rear defroster lines and not ruin a thing. Which is what that place did for your windows, and maybe charged you a little "extra" for "cutting out the defroster lines". Don't ever fall for that when they tell you they cut out the defroster lines.

I have my windows tinted on my car right now. 35% all around. *knock on wood* I haven't been pulled over yet for it. It's light enough where you can see through it during the day, and can see through it a little at night. I have photos, but not uploaded on this computer. If you do get your windows tinted, use AMMONIA-FREE window cleaner. Stuff like Windex is so awful for tint. It discolors the tint, dries it out, and cracks it over time. Your local Automotive Center will have ammonia-free window cleaner in the detailing section. Wal-Mart also has it in their Auto Center.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: AlyssaC

I have my windows tinted on my car right now. 35% all around. *knock on wood* I haven't been pulled over yet for it. It's light enough where you can see through it during the day, and can see through it a little at night. I have photos, but not uploaded on this computer. If you do get your windows tinted, use AMMONIA-FREE window cleaner. Stuff like Windex is so awful for tint. It discolors the tint, dries it out, and cracks it over time. Your local Automotive Center will have ammonia-free window cleaner in the detailing section. Wal-Mart also has it in their Auto Center.

i would like to see a picture of your 35% tint sometime when you get them uploaded onto your computer... i am thinking that i could get away with that in my area as long as i don't drive like an ***.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:06 PM

I have 35% tint all the way around here in Fredonia. I saw some cars with 50% and it is completely worthless IMO. As AlyssaC said, 35% is just enoguh to see through a bit at day, but at night it is still dark. Cops really dont care, I mean when you pass them their lights shine on your or some other lights and they are able to see through the window.

EDIT:

here is a link to my blue mazda with 35% tint ...with the angle the picture is at, it looks really dark and the sun was shining towards my car that day.
http://myspace-012.vo.llnwd.net/0064...45933012_l.jpg

Here is another link to my car taken on the same day except at a different angle and you can obviously see through it.
http://c.myspace.com/Groups/00012/30/21/12621203_l.jpg
http://c.myspace.com/Groups/00012/89/21/12621298_l.jpg

Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 PM

This is the best I have currently loaded on this computer. I'll try and get some better ones on Saturday if it's nice out. I took the pics from a window with the screen down...so they're slightly "smoked" looking.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:51 PM

the tinting on your car looks very nice alyssa... is that a black tint film, charcoal, etc?

Old 04-25-2006, 09:21 PM

It is black tint. And thank you. Like I said, I will try and get some clearer pics on Saturday if it doesn't rain. I leave on Sunday for San Diego for two weeks, so I will try to get them loaded for you a.s.a.p.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:46 PM

i man i had 50% tint it is worth less cuase i wanted to be legal in ohio but it sucked so i went 20% ON THE FRONT 2 windows 5% on the rear doors and 35% on the back window it came out nice then i hade the put a 6 inch 20% strip in the front wind sheild and it came out pimp if you waste your money on legal tint you will pissed off and out a lot of loot so get what you want ive had many window tint tickets there 75 a pop but the look of your ride is well worth it

Quick Reply: window tinting.....